What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to let everyone who visit's this thread know that I have a few anime DVD's up for sale in the Software for Trade/Sale section of this forum.
Sorry for posting this here, it's just that all the anime fans visit this thread who might not check the sale/trade section regularly.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Joe,
Nadia is "supposed" to be released on a monthly schedule by ADV. So, if they are on time, Nadia Vol. #2 should be out pretty soon.
---
Chris Beveridge,
Ah, that would explain why Arc the Lad Vol. #3 has sucky quality...single layered can really bring down the bitrate for the video...still, if this series goes nowhere, it's gonna be sold after the sixth disc comes in. Pretty boring.
Princess 9 looks very interesting. I may pick it up. :)
---
Bob,
Bubblegum Crisis has been redone 3 times...the last redo is the better one...it comes in a Megapack or as individual volumes. Since it is harder to tell the individual volumes apart from the 2nd redo, get the Megapack because that is the only way to know you're getting the new ones.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have:
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Tekken: The Motion Picture
Ghost in the Shell
Serial Experiments Lain (volumes 1-4)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (volumes 1-8)
I really liked NGE, Lain, GitS, PM, and Akira. Tekken was a little dry, and I'm a huge fan of the games, so it left me questioning the relation between the games and the movie. I didn't like it much.
I am thinking about getting Orphen. I have the PS2 game, and it was...interesting, to say the least. I have heard good things about the anime, but it just doesn't seem to be the style I like. The fact that it is on 6 DVDs makes it more appealing money wise, so maybe I'll check it out some time. Same goes for Outlaw Star.
Based on the anime I like and have, I usually like anime with more action. If it requires thought or having to watch it several times, its OK. I don't mind things that aren't supposed to be taken literally.
Also, Outlaw Star already ran a complete run on Cartoon Network several times. They ran one episode a day for 5 weeks and the entire series had been ran. They moved it to the Midnight Run and it ran complete there, too.
I don't like Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, or pretty much most if not all anime on TV, especially Pokemon/Digimon.
Man, I already have 14 DVDs myself (my dad bought Akira and Princess Mononoke because I told him they would be good, and they were) and I love adding to my collection. I wonder how long it is until I beat 20.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: ADV is switching to a six disc release pattern wherever they can now.[/quote]
Well that's good news. My wallet is really hurting from all the 8 disc series I've been buying lately. Now if only the other domestic companies could follow suit...
Morgan,
From your list, it appears that we have a lot of the same tastes. Your next purchase should be Cowboy Bebop without a doubt. I'd say Trigun after that, but only if you're not put off by "Japanese humor" (i.e. over-the-top). It's a very exciting, and deep, sci-fi western. Reviews may not help you out with that one. Just check it out for yourself. For both of these series, if you end up not liking it you will have no problem reselling whatever discs you're stuck with.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"
"Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

[Edited last by Joe_C on August 07, 2001 at 05:36 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking about watching Evangelion or Lain from the beginning so that I can get back into an anime mood and then want to purchase more anime. I have three cycles that move in a pattern: anime, videogames, internet. Right not, I am at internet, which means anime is coming up next.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just an FYI for those waiting for disc 4 of Generator Gawl, it has a street date finally: 10/09. I'm looking forward to wrapping that one up.
Hopefully more Sorcerer hunters is on its way, along with Blue Seed (finally) and Photon...
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Well I just finished up a few more episodes of Record of Lodoss War (the OVA). I really like it, it has that epic feel to it. I'm sure it helps that I'm in the "fantasy" mood right now as I'm simultaneously reading the Robert Jordan novel Eye of the World, which by the way, is one of the best, most engaging novels I've read in a LONG time!
Most of you know my habit of watching the first episode in both English and Japanese. Well, I couldn't even finish the first episode in English :) It wasn't so much that the acting was bad (although it certainly wasn't good), but it was more that the casting was terrible. Deedlit's English VA sounded way too...ditzy, and Woodchuck's VA sounded so hokey and like a cartoon caricature it was laughable. Slayn and Ghim's VA's were alright - as far as how they were cast. Etoh's English actor sounded even more womanly than his Japanese counterpart, but at least his original VA could actually act. Ok that's it. Oh no wait, one more thing: the transfer is horrible! Alright now I'm done. :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

[Edited last by Joe_C on August 07, 2001 at 07:16 PM]

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
And Joe, don't forget, your TV series is coming today (or should be coming...did it get there?) :)
I am on a crusade to find the R2 DVDs of Record of Lodoss War because I despise the "Image" DVD of RoLW, with edited intro and outtro to each episode and edited no-previews and cut a lot more stuff out. *sigh* And CPM doesn't want to invest anymore to reprint a corrected DVD version. I am praying that Kadokawa Shoten will release the OVA in individual volumes. I'll buy it up instanteneously (and get my 9.2 Mb/sec average video compression and probably Linear PCM audio).
---
Generator Gawl is kinda hokey...I'll wait until the last disc, but I may end up selling the whole lot in the end (as well as Arc the Lad and any more crappy ADV Films DVDs...like Nadesico...ugh...I hate overlays).
---
For those who are following Nadia, 2nd volume is being ready to ship. Anyway have theirs on pre-order? :)
---

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
*Sigh* . . . oh where oh where is my favorite film of all time, Nausicaa??
furious.gif
Disney, argghh!!
furious.gif

Well, a close second, at least within the realm of anime, is Serial Experiments: Lain -- this is one mind-blowing series; I love it to death.
I do have NGE DVD's, some of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, all of Cowboy Bebop, some of Rurouni Kenshin, Bubblegum Crisis OVA (the original big box set with ugly CD clamshell casings, not the smaller package with DVD keepcases), Record of Lodoss War (not Chronicles; kinda want to get it), Dominion: Tank Police, Robotech, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell, Iria, El Hazard, Grave of the Fireflies, and of course Vampire Hunter D and Akira. And I've only watched so far Dominion, part of Cowboy Bebop and RoLW, and VHD and Akira. Cowboy Bebop is very hard to get into (I'm only into disc #3 because it's moving a lot slower than I'd like), and I got distracted from RoLW a while back and will eventually get back into it but will have to start over. I really want to watch NGE because I love Hayashibara Megumi (she is wonderful seiyuu). *Sigh* . . . too many to list!
Joe_C:
I agree 110% with what you said about Jordan's The Wheel of Time -- this series is absolutely incredible (I've read about a hundred fantasy series in my life -- not that many, really, but enough to get a feel for good fantasy), and as a series this is my favorite of all of them. I got up to book 6 three years ago and put it off after moving away from my home in MD, but picked up book 1 a couple months back and am slowly getting back to where I was (I'm partway through book 4 now). Some people have given me minor spoilers, telling me that there are some really great things in store in the later books, but that I'll have to trudge through some rougher writing to get to the gold, so to speak. Slowly but surely I'll get there . . .
As everyone does I'm sure, I have my own vision of what each of the characters looks like (and needless to say they look NOTHING like the way they're portrayed in The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time -- avoid this book at all costs!); I always try to imagine what this series would look like on the big screen -- perhaps with the success of Peter Jackson's upcoming Lord of the Rings movies, we may yet see it happen. One can dream!
DVD Count: 917 Criterion: 2, 9, 11, 13, 14, 23, 37, 52, 53, 62, [COLOR= red]65[/COLOR], 70, 89, 108
------------------
[Edited last by Dana Fillhart on August 07, 2001 at 09:42 PM]

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Evangelion 03 has shipped! Evangelion 03 has shipped!Evange- well, you get the point! :)
I am so pumped for the weekend. Have both Evangelion, and Gasaraki to watch.
Man, I was diagnosed with pneumonia today and felt pretty shi**y.
This has made my day.
Unless my DVD player breaks down.
Or, I die from pneumonia....(forever the optimist, is me :) )

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Dana,
I know this is off-topic but...I have glanced through that book and the characters looked more generic than I would have thought. Fortunately, I'm stubborn enough that the mental images I have already of all the characters (I thought the artwork for the Fade was not nearly as intimidating as they are described in the novel) was strong enough that the new images did nothing to sway how they are depicted in my own mind :)
Alright getting back to anime...
Kong,
I received the set today. Thanks :) As soon as I finish the OVA I'll start up on that.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dana:
When you said you only saw some of your DVDs, did you mean you haven't seen NGE yet? DUDE, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! If you have been looking around this thread (or the previous one) you would know I am a HUGE NGE fan. I actually go to some message boards to read stuff about the series and actually learned about a mispelling of a quote that is the name of an episode (I think its episode 25 or 26, the japanese word 'ai' was translated to 'I'--ai means love, so replace 'I' with 'love' and you get the real title, which is the title of a book). I have learned too much about this series, but that is how much I like it. If you haven't seen it, I reccommend you do so.
Bob:
Do you have any other DVDs beside 1 & 2? If you do, I commend you on your ability on being able to not watch them. Also, don't read the character bios. They sometimes spoil, and you should be able to pick things up without them.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Morgan- I have 1 + 2 + 4 + 7 with 3 + 5 on the way. I get paid this weekend, so I'll be able to pick up 6 and/or 8
You do not know how hard it was NOT to watch 04.
It was even harder NOT to watch Gasaraki 1. I've been told to wait for 2 and watch both together.
I never knew I had so much patience! :)
Naw, I mean what would be the point of watching a show out of order?

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
It was even harder NOT to watch Gasaraki 1. I've been told to wait for 2 and watch both together.
That's what I had to do too. I loved the first disc so much I immediately popped in the second. I started it at like midnight and didn't finish till around 3-4am, I was so enthralled with it.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Dagger of Kamui- is it out on DVD?
Sounds interesting.If it's not out on DVD, will it be released on DVD in the near future?
Got a notice that Ninja Scroll has shipped y'see so I got a hankerin' for Samurai stuff.
Oh, Samurai X, been reading a lot of good things about this OVA.If I like Ninja Scroll will I like Samurai X?
Need to go to bed now and rest my poor lung :)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Coolness, Bob, you can join the ranks of us Gasaraki watchers. :)
Did I mention to everyone that I finally got my R2 back from my friend (after he borrowed it for more than a year). So I'm gonna finish watching the last 10 episodes of Gasaraki. I can't wait for ADV's stupid time table for this series. I'll probably watch some of it tomorrow and this whole week. :)
And welcome Dana to the anime forum part of the HTF!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
What's the deal with OUTLAW STAR on Toonami? I happened to catch an episode yesterday and found it fairly interesting. Not the best thing I've seen, but not bad for a TV show. I seem to remember that the Toonami version is heavily edited. Can someone fill me in on what kinds of things are edited out and, if they are so heavily edited, how are the episodes stretched out long enough to fill the half-hour?
On another topic, I recently purchased WICKED CITY. I started out watching with subtitles, but noticed that they seemed to be quite dry, literal translations of what was being said as opposed to sounding like real dialogue. Eventually, I gave up and switched to the dub, which wasn't so bad. I was wondering what other people think of the subs. Is it truly a good translation of the original or is this one of the rare occasions where listening to the dub is preferable? Just curious.
[Edited last by Brian Kidd on August 08, 2001 at 10:28 AM]

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Well, Outlaw Star on Toonami had one entire episode edited out... and it was probably the funniest one of them all (basically they're on a hot springs planet, but it reveals how Gene gets the special shells for his caster).
The discs are very recommended in my book, a really underrated series. Nicely packaged as well, being released in a 9/9/8 format.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Dagger of Kamui is not out on DVD yet. It is a short OVA series (as I recall, can't remember the episode count...I believe it was 3), and is quite interesting.
---
Some more editing in the Cartoon Network's version of Outlaw Star has to do with Melfina when she is within the capsule. They digitally added a "sports bra" on her, although in the original, she's completely naked.
Outlaw Star is a good series...too bad it also suffers from a 3 different studio animation ordeal (and you can tell which studio did which episode), so some of the quality of the character designs tend to slightly different than the original studio's animation quality. Story is by far better than Lost Universe (crappola) and is worth taking a look. At $45 per volume, 3 volumes for the R1 DVD, 26 episodes broken down into 9/9/8 (2 DVDs per volume)...it's not too bad really.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
What about BERSERK??? I got so hooked into this anime series in the last two weeks. It's great dark anime. As far as I know this is not formally released on DVD, other than bootlegs that can be easily found browsing around the net. Also, there were rumors that it would have a second series/season(?) to perhaps continue the unsettling ending to the 25-episode series. Can anyone set me straight on this one? Any help would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks