What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Woo thanks for the head's up on Kenshin, cause I had stopped recording it becuase I thought it was in reruns until next year. I will set it back up on my PVR501 again. And on a final note MAN TRIGUN IS SWEEEEET!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Otaku roll call!
I did this a couple of months ago and I will do it again to see if anyone has changed their mind :)
Any of you HTFers planning on attending Otakon in Baltimore, MD this coming August 8-10, 2003? Just want to see if you wanted to get together one of the nights to get a bite to eat or something :D I know Chris Beverage and Jeff Kleist will be there... anyone else attending the largest anime con on the East Coast? See Japanese and American guests! Live musical acts straight from Tokyo! Art! 35mm Screenings! Karaoke! Merchandise! Studio Panels w/ exciting announcements! Rob Lutter cosplaying?! O_o If it is Asian-related, you will find it at Otakon! ^_^
Oh, and I still have a bed open in my room at the Holiday Inn (right across the street from the BCC) if any HTFers need it! (we'll split the room-rate)
This is a long-shot... but anyone attending JACON in Orlando, FL later this month? It's run by the anime club I belong to and I will be driving back up there for at least one of the days depending on my work schedule. It's the 2nd largest anime con in Florida (behind MegaCon) and will be held May 30-June 1st at the state-of-the-art UCF Student Union.
I saw HTFer Derek Miner walking about MegaCon... so some more of you people must be con-ing ;)

Eric F

Screenwriter
FYE.com=major headache. They screwed me and lots of other people over.

Go to DVDTalk and search for fye.com for more info on this.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Eric... I must have ordered 15-20 things during the FYE sale and I didn't have a problem w/ any of my shipments. I was actually very happy with them :confused:

Eric F

Screenwriter
They're great when you don't have a problem, which is rare.
Seriously, go check out the threads on FYE.com at DVDTalk. If you have a problem with them you'll probably never get it resolved. In my case, I placed 4 seperate orders- which they confirmed, then raised the prices after they shipped them, and then overcharged me some unspecified amount. This was almost 3 months ago. I spoke to a manager who said they would fix this- took my info, and then dissapeared.
Here's just one of the many threads:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=fye.com

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Who here has seen Princess Nine? Just got my $60 DVD bundle from RightStuf last night and watched two dvds of this really fun baseball/drama anime. Good characterization and fun characters... can't wait to get home to see the next disc...

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
CON said:
Rob, you are not only con-ing. You are also conning!
Now in all seriousness, I can't go. It will be hard to convince the parents to let me go. Plus, I am the only one in the family who would be interested in this kind of thing, and I have no friends who really like anime. So, I am screwed. If I do come, Rob will be annoyed by me playing non-Asian metal and punk (except Kemuri) all the time in the room. :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Did all of the otakus die here? Just wanted to give it a little bump.

Who here is planning on getting The Animatrix with the soundtrack? Does anyone know what type of music will be on there? I am trying to decide if I should get the soundtrack with it or not. I know that I can avoid a snapper by getting it, but I don't care about the case.

I don't want to spend extra on a soundtrack that I may not even like.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Well, having seen The Animatrix already, the soundtrack is pretty interesting mix of music, incorporating both Japanese and English eclectic sounds.
Watch The Animatrix before you watch Matrix 2, it makes the movie that much more enjoyable, AND play the game, Enter the Matrix because it will fill in some more information background to the whole Matrix thing. :)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
*sigh*
I think we're all between DVD's at the moment.. I know I am.
*sigh*
/me drums fingers waiting for rightstuf to GET THEIR ASSES IN GEAR and send me my Please Teacher Box. :angry:
Honestly how can it be backordered and yet 'in stock and available'?
I knew I shouldn't have finished of Escaflowne this weekend. :frowning:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I had to call Right Stuf to get my Please Teacher box sent to me. They had some sort of weird hold because of all the orders I had in May (they wanted to ship it with my May 27th preorders).

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Tony:
Actually, I've been busy watching some new and old DVDs: Love Hina Spring Movie, GTO Volume 8, Castle in the Sky, Excel Saga volume 2, and Boogiepop Phantom. I've also got Excel Saga volume 3 on deck, along with a couple of Korean movies that just came in yesterday. Plus, I finally got a new job.
John.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Things are looking up, yesterday I received the first two sessions of Cowboy Bebop (together with the remastered Superman) and sittin on my doorstep when I got home was Mahoromatic vol 3!
Anyway, I haven't really had a chance to watch any of them but I did pop Mahoromatic in the player just to check out the disc. As with the previous two volumes it looks like the video & audio quality are top notch.
One thing I have always enjoyed about these discs is the subtitles to the songs alternating between english translation and romanji as well as the 'subtitles' for certain kanji/notices that appear throughout the show. These are all present and correct as usual. Go Pioneer! :D
I only own one other Pioneer DVD (akira) but I shall have to keep an eye out for their discs if this is representative of the quality of their releases.
FWIW I have listened to one episode with the english dub and I have to say I think this is one of the better ones, the original dub is my preferred way of watching anime but for those of you who don't have the habit yet the VA's have done an admirable job of translating most of the character & humour of the show. No one comment on this bit please, we all know how that conversation goes. ;)
Oh, the disc also comes with a whole whack of new sticky things to dress the paper dolls you got in the earlier boxes with. Including what looks like the Teacher as Ivy out of Soul Calibur. Evidently I haven't seen that episode yet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks