What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine recently saw Grave of the Fireflies and was so sad from it that she was still crying about it the next day in school.

I want it for Christmas.

(trying to sort of liven things up)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies pretty much moves anyone who sees it to tears, you would have to have a cold heart to at the very least not tear up towards the end :frowning:
Oh, by the way, Morgan, I love your new Eva sig! :D
I have seen Death + Rebirth, but I am waiting till next week for my anime friends to get out of school to watch End of Evangelion.
"Why am I so fucked up?" :laugh:

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Have a box or two of Kleenex Handy, Morgan. Some people need two.
Hello everyone ! Sorry I have been MIA (Missing in Action) but have been playing Wild Arms 3 along with Legaia 2: Dual Saga IMPORT and have had no time for Anime. Just recently got Patlabor TV Series Volume 3, and can't wait to watch it tonight. I am WAY behind on anime viewing due to games, (just got SERPICO and THE ACCUSED as well - more stuff to watch)
DVD PROFILER is now at 548!
Busy weekend, with cousins coming from Korea and Canada.... it will be an insane two months!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
If any of you guys missed out on the Akira: Limited Edition Tin that came out last year... when I was bumping around the internet I found that eCampus.com seems to have them in stock! I have never used them though, so I don't know about their reliability.
Great set (probably the prettiest in my collection too), and it has become extremely hard to find this side of eBAY :)
(the only thing wrong with it is that the Japanese track in in DD 2.0)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Kong:
Cool :)
Morgan:
Yeah, the first time I watched it, I had to stop halfway through because I couldn't take it. Even knowing what was there, the second time I watched it (after the CE came out), I still cried.
Woo Jae:
I'm up to 398. I just picked up Betterman volume 4, and Escaflowne volume 3. I wanted to get Magical Project S volume 2 to finish up the series, but the Suncoast I went to didn't have them in stock. Darn Xmas movies :frowning:.
Rob:
Yeah, the tin rules. I have to admit, though, that I really like the image on the non-LE versions, with Kaneda walking towards his bike.
John.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Next week should be fun, with 3 Excel Saga volumes, 4 GTO discs, Mihoshi Special, Love Hina Xmas, and Video Girl Ai expected.

Magical Project S is a blast, especially when also watching Sailor Moon episodes concurrently.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Hmm, so the rumors are true. In the January issue of the Japanese Newtype, there is an interview with Hideaki Anno concerning a NEW Evangelion series. Don't know whether it will be OVA or TV, but it's a new series. Will give more details as soon as I get my hands on the issue. So far, the highlight contents are posted on the Japanese Newtype website, the actual beef you have to pay to read.
So, for all you Eva lovers, there's more hope!!! :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Chalk up another recommendation for Grave of the Fireflies.
Oh yeah, Rob Lutter, when I get thirty dollars somewhere (the couch ain't helping :frowning: )I'll definitely give Cowboy Bebop a good run.
What can I look foward to with this series?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
So it WASN'T the End of Evangelion...:)
Bebop is a great series, but it's not easy to describe in a few words.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
What can I look foward to with this series?
I am going to warn you... once ya get into the first disc you are going to be spending a HELL of a lot more. It is a combination of great sci-fi/action/comedy with a bounty hunter theme in space (but it is much deeper) :)
PS: You can get the discs for less than $30
DeepDiscountDVD - $22.31 (shipped)
----
I have been watching Witch Hunter Robin for the last couple days... very cool show. Any ideas of licensing in the US? (this would probably be Bandai as it is a Sunrise property in Japan)
----
My Gasaraki metal box shipped yesterday from RightStuf.com... unfortuately, I sent it to my dorm when I ordered it (2 months ago) and I won't be back there till January. Now I just have to get the discs ;) (I will probably get the box at Best Buy with Christmas GCs... it is actually still reasonably priced @ $110.00)
I still can't get over how purty my Neon Genesis Evangelion Paul Champagne box is (MUCH nicer than I thought it would be)... it is proudly displayed with my NGE action figures (there is a pic in the 'action figures' link in my sig). :emoji_thumbsup:
These two are gonna look NICE together. I might have to splurge for another one of these (Paul has a lot of them not listed on his site... but they can take 4+ weeks to be made because he specially makes them when ordered... these two boxes were limited runs of 1500 [Gasaraki] and 2000 [NGE] pieces)What can I say? I like shiny things ;)
----
If you don't see me around for the next week, I am going out of town till next Saturday. So don't fret, I am not dead ;)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Dome:
Cowboy Bebop is definitely way up there near the top of my list. I have to agree with Rob, once you get the first disk, you'll want to get them all. IMHO, the best episodes are 12-13 and 25-26. They alone set this apart from most other series. GTO is the only series that IMHO surpasses it, and not by much.
John.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just finished watching the R3 Galaxy Express 999 movie, and just loved it! My question is, how does this relate to the TV series, is it just a condensed version? Too bad the R2 TV isn't subbed...or maybe for my wallet's sake, maybe it's better it isn't for now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From what I have heard, this is going to be a series about the events around the "Second Impact" (and the beginning of the Eva project)... so 'End of Evangelion' will still count. Gendou Ikari (and the other large players in the NERV organization from the first series) would be the main character of this series (which sounds really interesting to me)
Me too. I'd love to see what happened leading up to the events of NGE in greater detail. The only thing is, how long will the series be? Will it have much action or will it be mainly exposition and storyline?

And yeah, Cowboy Bebop is THAT good. It's able to blend sci-fi, action, and comedy together extremely well.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hello everyone!
Rewatched Patlabor TV series including volume three, and man.... This series is just really really fun.
Patlabor TV Series - currently 3 volumes available :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: (from 5 :emoji_thumbsup: s)
If any of you have seen the Patlabor Movies, you may have a general idea of what the Patlabor series is all about. It is simply about a special team of unique individuals who are members of a two squad PATrol LABOR (sorta like a PATrol car, with labor being robots/mecha created for construction, war, etc etc) dealing with various situations. Being that this is a TV series, the animation will NOT be as good as the movies. That said what animation that is there is pleasing to the eye and IMHO pretty well done.
What makes Patlabor stand out from other mecha series is its constant focus on the people behind the mecha. Noa Izumi, Ota, Goto, Hiromi, Kanuka, and all the other members of Special Vehicles Team 2 are all extremely likeable and are pretty much fleshed out. And the TV series shows us how Noa Izumi, a new member, becomes a part of this team, and grows with it.
Highly recommended more for its character interactions than mecha (though Alphonse is pretty cool.)
Anyways, hope this makes some of you pick up this wonderful series. That reminds me that at some point, I have to finish picking up Berserk, KareKano, and Excel Saga....
Oh - on the game front: I have recently started to play Xenosaga IMPORT on my IMPORT PS2, and it is turning out to be really fun and time consuming. Handily armed with my many many hours of anime viewing, I am wading through lots of text and dialogue and being patently entertained and confused in spades! :D Can't wait until this game is released in the states to make sense of it, but in the mean while, I will play it and enjoy.

Andy Kent

Agent
Mind you, I also love Patlabor, and I very much enjoyed that volume, but four out of five? From a technical perspective, it's packed full of audio and video glitches, and the transfer's none too good. (I mean, sure, if it was a 1970s show, I'd expect that... but it's from 1990!) It's possible their masters are just that bad, I guess...

Andy Kent
did my review of this one already ;p

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hey all:
Well, I got done rewatching Macross yesterday, and damn, what an excellent series. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good, long (36 eps) series to watch. it's a little pricey, but worth it.
John.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Andy:
My set up is pretty low key, so the errors evident to you may not be so evident to my not-so-keen eyes. I am watching my anime on a NON-PROGRESSIVE DVD player (Toshiba 1600 component output) to a Toshible 27" Flatscreen TV, so the problems you see are not evident to me. In anycase, all the TVs in the house are directview TVs 27" Flat in my room, 36" DirectView in the family room.
BTW, how is Kenshin OAVs treating ADV? Hopefully, it will be out soon, neh? ;)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Well, it's true... the January issue of Newtype the Japanese one does state that Gainax is rebringing Evangelion back into the world of TV series and other media formats. And to commemorate the milking of this series, they are gonna re-release Evagelion one more time in Japan, this time with 5.1 audio for every episode!!! Don't know if they are going to use the director's cut or the tv cut but 5.1 audio!!! Wow!!! :)
And they're releasing other stuff too that ties in with Evangelion original series. Anyway, lots of reissues coming from the Gainax studio. :)
Licenses galore, I'll definitely be picking up the reissue 5.1 Evangelion DVDs when they're released in the R2 market :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks