What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion - Anime Fans' Discussion (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Andy,
It was the 35mm print we watched at their school. ;P
Anyway, hopefully, more DVDs will be coming. The Evangelion thread is getting pretty long.
Hmm, we need the 8th volume, so we can chat about that. :)
KC

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
I'm refusing to read the Evangelion thread, since I don't want to encounter spoilers. I did notice that my order status on Vol 8 just changed from "Pre-order" to "Pending Shipment", so hopefully that means I'll be getting it soon.
I have a feeling I may not want to read any of the Evangelion info until after I see the movie (not just till after Vol 8), but that may be too long to wait!
I did watch Perfect Blue shortly after I bought it. I liked it - it was definitely something different - but I don't think it quite lived up to the hype. And I wish the disc had been anamorphic.
--Rog

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Guess what I just got today?! :)
Evangelion volume 8!! woohoo. I can't wait to watch it.
Also I picked up Gasaraki volume 5, Nadia volume 1, and Buttobi CPU. Pretty big day for me.
Well, I'm off to watch this stuff now. I'll "report" back later tonight and let you all know what I think.
TTYL
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I still have a lot of catching up to do with Eva, I'm only at disc 3.
frown.gif

I also managed to miss the first 2 UY box sets, which is certain death for that series - I must have the boxes, and am not paying $200+ for them on ebay. I did get a copy of disc two which was pretty funny - I think I like the opening more than the show itself though, darling... :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: Evangelion volume 8!! woohoo. I can't wait to watch it.[/quote]
Did you find it at a B&M or did you order it online? Does Suncoast ever put anything out early?
On a side not, I'M GRADUATING IN TWO HOURS!! We had Grad Night at Disneyland last night, and now I'm absolutely exhausted.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"If I said you had a nice body would you take off your clothes and dance around for awhile?"

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
AndyVX,
You lucky dog, you. :)
Remember, when watching Nadia, this series was directed by Hideaki Anno prior to his "Evangelion" fame. Just to let you know...don't judge the 1st 4 episodes until you get to Volume 2 where it will start picking up and gets funnier.
Now, we have one more Eva #8 person who can join the Eva spoiler thread. :)
KC

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Did you find it at a B&M or did you order it online? Does Suncoast ever put anything out early
I bought it from my local anime shop that I go to here in Toronto.
Ok, now I'm really going to go and watch the stuff I bought. My friend stopped by just as I was about to start watching. Grrr!
Kong,
Thanks for the advice on Nadia. I'll keep that in mind while watching it.
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Just as a precautionary warning, ADV Films is following the same output of volumes for Nadia as the Japanese studio, Gainax, is doing for theirs: 10 volumes, the first 9 volumes will contain 4 eps each, the 10th volume will have 3 eps. Whether or not ADV got the rights to the extras remain to be seen. The series consist of 39 episodes, fyi. :)
KC

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Wow, what an ending to Evangelion! I totally wasn't expecting it to turn out like that. Damn, I just can't get over how much of an awesome series this was.
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
AndyVX,
See, what did we tell ya? :) Now you can partake in the Eva thread. :) And we can communicate in spoilers. :)
KC

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
One more title that I'd like to reccomend to people is 3x3 Eyes. I found this series to be very enjoyable, and this is one show where characters really do change throughout the series.
What's more is that you get the whole thing in one package!
When I bought it, I had no idea what to expect. I just liked the cover...I picked it up, read the back, then proceeded to the checkout counter :)
Check around the net (anime on dvd.com) if you want some real reviews of it.
The one place where 3x3 Eyes comes up short though however, is that you're left wanting more...way more. It does have and end, but it's rather loose and not totally tied up (like most anime I'm finding...nothing beats Please Save My Earth though for the most open endedness)
Hopefully (crosses fingers) more of the Manga will be made into some more episodes!
Andrew
------------------
My Anime on DVD List

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
3x3 Eyes (pronouned as Sazan Eyes (Sah-zahn) ) is based off the manga, in part where the OVA really does not follow the manga all too closely. The 2nd OVA series does lead you to believe there will be a 3rd installment, but between the 1st and 2nd, I believe we have probably a couple more years before we get to see that 3rd installment.
As for Please Save My Earth, taking a 24 volume manga series and condensing it into a 6 episode OVA series is hard to do, they mostly took from the 1st volume, sporadically took from the other 23 and ended the show on the early 20 something volume. The "movie" that came after the OVA does a lot of recapping the OVA series and adds about another 20-min of new footage which ends the series the way the manga ended. So basically that's Please Save My Earth. The manga is good, btw. :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: See, what did we tell ya? Now you can partake in the Eva thread. And we can communicate in spoilers.[/quote]
Damn! I'm calling all over the place trying to find somewhere that has 0:8 in stock already. I'm actually going to be in Hawaii with a bunch of my friends when the disc is scheduled to be released.
But of course, it's gonna be a bitch for me there with my broken leg and all...
I do have a good chunk of change now from all the graduation gifts I got from family and friends. Looks like I'll be starting on BGC2040 and Gasaraki now :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"If I said you had a nice body would you take off your clothes and dance around for awhile?"

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched Link Removed and it was awesome. I don't think it is out on DVD is region 1 yet but when it is release by all means see it. I would put it in the top tier of Anime titles.
BTW: I know I spelled it differently than it it is spelled on the IMDB page but that is the way the title card was spelled on the disc I watched.
------------------
200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
My DVDs

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
What do the rest of you guys think of Spriggan? I have yet to see it but I hear mixed things about it.
Although almost everyone agrees that it has "the best animation ever!" or something to that effect. But most also agree that it is mindless fun with little to no plot.
Roby, can you give us a quick review (plot/content, video, audio, animation)?
And when, if ever, is this title going to be released on DVD here in North America?
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
From the ADV trailer Spriggan looks like a must have to me. I like mindless fun sometimes. :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
What ADV disc is the Spriggan trailer on?
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Spriggan will be coming to US theaters in later summer or so, and have a fall DVD release(anamorphic, possibly even DTS, specs not finalized). Yes the animation is great. Yes, it's pretty mindless, and you can tell that Otomo did little to stretch beyond Akira in his thinking. The people who like anime for the violence will be pleased, and it's a fun way to spend 2 hours. Just don't expect Ghost in the Shell.
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks