What's new

Advance SP or Gameboy Player? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Two new products. One requires a 3-in-1 adaptor for the GCN. One is portable. Blah, blah, blah ;)

Advance SP

Gameboy Player

I know quite a few folks have the SP. I wanted their impressions. I was hoping a few folks had the GCN Gameboy adaptor. I was hoping for a few details there.

My goal: simple. Play Castlevania: COTM, HOD and the forthcoming Aria of Sorrow. I don't necessarily need the games to be portable, but how does the image look blown up on a 25" TV?

Another advantage of the Player is the 3-in-1, which would allow playing imports.

Any experience would be most useful in my purchase.

Thanks for the help, HTF Gamers.

Take care,
Chuck

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The player isn't out yet in the US so there aren't going to be many people with it yet. I'm actually gonna get both. I haven't decided which first though. I'll use the SP mainly for travel and take it to work for those down times. The player will be used when I don't feel like looking at the little screen but still want to play a GBA game.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The way I see it... I have my 128-bit consoles for home and my little portable guy for the road. I have WAY too many games that are still waiting for me to play them to devote time at home to Gameboy games. So, I bought an SP (It's great to use during college classes!) ;)

The light is wonderful and the battery is ingenious (and it has never run out on me in the middle of gameplay). I can finally play Castlevania: Circle of the Moon! (which was virtually unplayable on regularGBA because of the dark backgrounds). :D

Luke Foust

Stunt Coordinator
Any official word on the release date of the Gameboy Player? I know it was supposed to be this month (April) last I heard.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the import GB Player.

Pluses:
GB games on your TV!
Supports the Analog stick on the GC pad
Supports Progressive Scan.
Hot swap GB games

Minuses:
Some pretty noticeable flickering on certain screen objects (the track map in F-Zero, for instance).
Mode7 games seem to chug along.
Doesn't fit on the Panaonic Q (if you're one of the few Q owners).

Games look OK blown up on a 27" or 30" screen, but then that depends on the game. Metroid Fusion looks great, Fire Pro Wrestling is kind of nasty looking. Castlevania looks pretty nice. Game Boy & Game Boy Color games can look a bit ugly.

Nice, but I'll probably use my SP more than this in the long run.

And last I heard, the domestic release was still scheduled for May

EdR

Second Unit
I'm with Rob L, for me the whole point of the GBA is portability. The SP is really impressive, they nailed it in terms of size and quality. Go for the SP! You can always get the Player later if you want it.

BTW, this should probably be in the hardware forum.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Last word I heard, the U.S. GB Player was scheduled to launch June 23rd. This is from www.planetgamecube.com and several other sites--it was delayed. PGC's theory is that they pushed it back to give the GBASP a little more breathing room. It will only be available in Jet Black, though, for right now.

I've got a Japanese GB Player on order, which should have shipped Monday from Upstate Games. Hopefully, I'll get it today. Had to get a FreeLoader (to get the Player to work on my unmodded US 'Cube), and I also ordered one of those neat little Hori SNES-style gamepads to go along with it. Should be cool. :)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Very, very happy with the SP. I've already played it tons more than I ever played my regular GBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks