Advance screening ?'s

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chad A, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I've never been to an advance screening of a movie before so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me.
    Do they give away things like posters, t-shirts and things of that nature or is it just that.....a free screening and you go home?
    I know at test screenings they ask you to fill out a bunch of answers to their questionares so I'm wondering if they'll wanna pick our brains at all.
    I have tickets to the new Dawn of the Dead on the 16th and I'm really excited at the prospect of a free movie I would have paid 10 bucks to see and the possibility of getting anything from the movie too.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

At most advance screenings there is prizing. This goes for all the radio station and other sponsored ones.

Prizing ranges from shirts, posters, soundtracks etc. Not everyone get's something. Usually there's a random draw or trivia.

Hope this helps.

3. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

Hmm I haven't been fortunate enough to attend one sponsored by a radio station, by going to various ones set up by Entertainment Weekly magazine and the local arthouse theater, I've never received any gifts or such... I mean, I'm not complaining, it's a gift in and of itself getting to see neat titles like Cold America or Osama weeks if not months in advance [​IMG]

4. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

There's 2 types.

Promo and Word of Mouth

The promo ones happen a day or two before the film opens and usually are sponsored by newspapers, radio stations etc. These often have giveaways.

Word of mouth generally happen a week or two early and there usually isn't any type of prizing.

I've been to both types as a critic these are often the screenings we get invited to. Atleast where I am.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Cold America? Did you get to see back-to-back sneaks of Cold Mountain and In America? [​IMG]

6. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seeing the movie early is great, seeing it for free is awesome, but getting any type of giveway will make it one hell of an experience.
    If the movie turns out as good as I hope it will.

7. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Here are the diffrent types of advance screenings.

Public - These are screenings that are sometimes held by the studios 1 or 2 weeks before the film is released and you required to pay to attend by purchasing a ticket. These are also often referred to as word of mouth screenings.

Promotional - These are screenings that are often held by local radio stations and other media groups and you usually have to win a pass to attend.

Press - These are screenings that are shown to the local press in a paticular city and they are shown sometimes 2 or 3 days before the actual film opens or often 1 - 2 weeks sometimes depending on the film. You have to be part of the press to attend and be on the guest list.

Executive Screenings - These are screenings held for the movie studio executive producers and producers and other big times industry people to screen a film to decide if they wish to make any changes to a film before its released or arrange a test screening for the public to get their input on the film on how well it will do at the box office. These are also screenings for films that are trying to find a distributor to buy the rights to the film and release it into theaters. These screenings are held at the studios in Los Angeles.

Trade Screenings - These are often industry screenings where various people in the business like theater managers are able to attend to decide what films to show at their local theaters. You have to be in the business like a theater manager to attend or know someone who can get you on the guest list.

Test Screenings - These are screenings where often a workprint is shown and the public gives their opinon on what they thought of it after by filling out a survery. These are held through out the year every now and than. You just have to be in the right place at the time to get your name on a guest list to attend.

Premier Screenings - These are held by the studios 2 - 3 days before the movies release in Los Angeles and restricted to the Stars and Crew only of the paticular film.

-Mike