What's new

ADV Films finally(!) to release 90's GAMERA on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Watched the bulk of ADV's new Gamera II: Advent of Legion DVD last night and am very disappointed with the picture quality (or lack thereof). The transfer looks quite soft to me and there is a serious lack of true blacks.
Despite it's lack of 16:9 enhancement and 5.1 sound (neither of which my system is capable of), Gamera: GotU looks better to me.
When I heard ADV was making II and III available in anamorphic and 5.1, I figured for sure the transfer would be terrific. Now I'm wondering if ADV used their non-anamorphic and non-5.1 Gamera:Guardian of the Universe VHS master because Daiei's masters look like ADV's II disc--?? Anybody who has both the japanese box set and ADV's discs can to comment on a comparison?
This really bums me out. I never sprang for the R2 Gamera box, and these films are ones I really love and was highly anticipating on R1. So to get the sub-par transfers we've gotten so far is... :frowning: :frowning: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks