Adult Swim's Brak Show cancelled

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Wayne Bundrick, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

For New Year's Eve, Cartoon Network did a "New Year's Eve Bash" which was new episodes of the usual Sunday Adult Swim lineup with short animated segments between shows depicting a New Year's party at Brak's house and hosted by Brak's dad. At the party were characters from the Brak Show, ATHF, Sealab 2021, and SGC2C (and just one Harvey Birdman character with a speaking part). There were some funny moments, some of them sort of in-jokes regarding the voice actors who do multiple characters on these shows.

Meatwad and Brak did a perfect puppet show rendition of the "Describe what Marcellus Wallace looks like" scene from Pulp Fiction, with Meatwad as Julius and Brak as Brett.

Later during the Brak Show episode, Brak mentioned offhand that the show was cancelled and the episode ended abruptly. The cancellation was was then the topic of the next two New Year's party segments. Apparently it's not a joke, the show really has been cancelled.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

What leads you to believe it wasn't a joke? Is there any confirmation online?

3. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

It's still on Adult Swim's schedule.

4. Wayne Bundrick

There is some confirmation on the adultswim.com message boards, according to another site I found that had a link, but you have to sign up for membership to read the board, which I decided not to do.

And still being on the schedule doesn't mean there will be new episodes. Adult Swim tends to get a lot of mileage from reruns.

5. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

If anyone watched Adult Swim last night, there was an announcement (the kind where they have white text on a black background) saying that Brak Show is still cancelled before they aired the Brak repeat.

6. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I watched the new Year's eve thing and thought it was all a joke, part of me still thinks that it still could be. Brak is a funny enough show, but my favorite is still Aqua Teen, in fact Dana Schnyder making fun of George Lowe when he heard the show was canceled was my favorite part of that show.

7. Wayne Bundrick

I must have missed it. I was only half watching, and I was TiVo skipping the commercials.

Anyway, yeah, they're serious as far as anyone can tell. Brak Show is cancelled. It sure didn't seem like it cost them a lot of money to make an episode. Maybe they decided the money and talent was better used elsewhere.

And I think I also missed the explanation of what happened to Captain Murphy on Sealab 2021. He hasn't been in the last two episodes, and last night was that football coach supposed to be his replacement? I'm not sure if I already nuked it from my TiVo, if not I'll have to watch again and pay better attention.

8. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

It seems like Captain Murphy is now on the run from the law for some reason. Of course, we all know the reason he hasn't been on is because of the actor's death. Also, the text commercial info thing said that his replacement is being played by the original actor's son.
    Also, the TICT (text info commercial thing) pointed out that the Home Movies season premiere featured They Might Be Giants as the two music counselors at the camp.
    And is it just me, or was Space Ghost extremely raunchy, even by Adult Swim standards, repeatedly using the phrase "bang up the ass," for example.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Boy am I clueless, I didn't know Harry Goz had died. That just ruined my day.

Captain Murphy was the funniest character on Sealab, and the way Harry Goz delivered his lines is a large part of what made him so funny. RIP Harry Goz.

Yeah SGC2C was raunchy. And Moltar was trying to get them to stop, so they at least they were self-aware of it. I had noticed that these new episodes of SGC2C were getting marked as TV14.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I doubt that voice talent had anything to do with the Brak show being canceled. Andy Marill does Brak and Ogalthorpe on Aqua Teen, Carey Means is Thunderclese and Frylock and George Lowe does Space Ghost/Brak's dad. Martin Crowcker is Zorak/Dr. Weird and Steve on Aqua Teen, so it probably was a production issue IE costing too much money, but how much more can it cost compared to ATHF?

Space Ghost was very adult oriented so to speak last night, it really stood out compared to other stuff I've seen on adult swim.

11. Wayne Bundrick

It also seems unusual that SGC2C aired much earlier in the evening. We usually get ATHF, Sealab, Brak, Harvey Birdman, etc. before Space Ghost.

Last night's Adult Swim was still in my TiVo so I scrutinized it more carefully. The new Sealab episode began with an old fashioned newsreel that said Captain Murphy is leading rebel forces in the Great Spice Wars.

Also, before the Brak Show the "TICT" they ran said this:

Up Next - Brak

We know you're upset that it was cancelled.

So we're here to remind you

that it's still totally cancelled.

We're also cancelling;
    The Simpsons
    InuYasha
    Survivor

and Nickelodeon.

Okay, so now they want to kid around about it. I'm willing to suppose that Brak Show isn't really cancelled but rather they don't plan to make new episodes for a long time, it's just not in their plans for as far ahead as they can plan, so it's as good as cancelled. But after all, they brought SGC2C back from the dead and that's how easy it would be to bring back Brak.

Besides, I think they have some other things coming down the pike and something's got to go to make room.