Adult ADD?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Holadem, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Are you or do you know anyone with Attention Deficit Disorder? Even a "mild" case?

Following an examination of my professional and personal life, I have started half-assedly reading around on the topic, and found this website:

http://www.oneaddplace.com/addcheck.htm

While I am sure everyone sees a part of themeselves in such tests, I find the results a bit disturbing in my case.

How much stock should one put in such tests?

--
    H

2. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I wanted to take that test but I was distracted! [​IMG]

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Drew, that one is older than the hills [​IMG]

--
    H

4. Todd Calhoun

Todd Calhoun Agent

One thing to be aware of is that the symptoms of ADD can be very similar to the symptoms of mild sleep deprivation. The tests for both can be almost identical!

If you decide to get tested, be sure to get a good nights sleep for a couple of days beforehand (which means, at the very least, not waking up with an alarm clock).

Good luck.

5. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

How many people with add does it take to change a lightbulb?

WANNA GO RIGHT BIKES.....

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i scored an 84, with mostly everything under 2. i had a few 4's though. couldn't really answer the family history questions as i'm adopted.

what's funny is my sister recently gave me all my old elementary school report cards. a *lot* of them had the "if he only applied himself" type comments.

fooey! look how i turned out. errr.....

----

as i'm sure we already know...tests like this really are just a surface indicator. i'm sure we'd have to go through a battery of tests before an accurate assessment could be made. i wouldn't worry too much about this...unless you scored hella high.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well you see, I scored a 166.

EDIT: nevermind.

--
    H

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

If you are seriously concerned, you need to be diagnosed by a professional, with expert training, and using real tests of ADHD (most tests like this you find for free on the internet or in a magazine, are not psychometrically sound evaluation tools, or if they are a sound instrument, they require a trained examiner to properly interpret and understand the results).

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I definitely have it, and its a lot more common than most people believe. The usually recommended book is "Driven to Distraction" by Edward Hallowell...you can get it used from Amazon for ~$4, or just check it out from your library.

So many people suffer thru it without identifying the problem; for most adults, just knowing that they have it and recognizing its effects in their lives is a powerful change.

10. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Well, I've been toying with seeing a doctor and this does nothing to discourage me. Let's just say that I outscorred Holadem by a significant margin (221).

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I tried to take the test but got bored with it before I was halfway done! What does that say about me??

Actually, I mostly got bored because I was putting 0s and 1s for most of the answers and felt it did not apply to me at all. So I can't say whether the test is accurate or not (I'm thinking anything on the internet isn't, though), but I can say that I've never thought I had ADD and I guess this test helps confirm that.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

166? sheesh!!! [​IMG]

definitely h ... if you think it's an issue get yourself checked out. it certainly couldn't hurt.

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

What were we talking about again? [​IMG]

Seriously though, do you think our society is promoting ADD? I mean, with the advent of technology and "right here, right now" information and entertainment, do you feel people's attention span is getting shorter and shorter?

There was a great stand-up comedian on Comedy Central who joked about this very thing. He was talking about in the future everything will be instantaneous.... but the DMV will still take, like 9 seconds. "9 seconds!?!? C'mon! I have to be to work in 7 seconds!"