ADT

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Matt^Brown, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

I currently rent a home that has ADT installed in it but that is not turned on. I contacted ADT and to get it turned on I have to sign up for a 3 year contract. This is something I do not want to do as my wife and I plan on buying a home in the next 2 years. I know that this contract can be carried over but I'm not sure if I will have money for this after I move. So this is not a commitment I want to make right now.

Here is my question. My parents house also use to be monitored by ADT. Several years ago they stopped the service and not longer have ADT monitor their house. However the alarm in their house still seems to function for all practical purposes. Yes, I understand that no one is monitoring it but other then that it still works just the same as it did before. They can still set the alarm, the timer still works, and if they don't get to it in time then the siren gos off inside the house. They treat the alarm just like any hardwired system that you install yourself. Why does the ADT alarm in the house I am renting not function in the same manner? Is there anyway to turn it on just as a home alarm?

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Either the equipment is turned off or it was removed. (Sometimes the homeowner rents the equipment, rather than owning it, and some or all of it is returned to the alarm company at the end of the contract.)

Have you found the alarm junction box? See if the unit is turned off, has the breaker off or if it has been unplugged.

BTW, even though ADT provided the equipment, any number of companies should be able to provide monitoring. You might want to check with other local companies and see if anyone provides monitoring on a month-by-month or year-by-year basis.

But yes, if you're not paying for the monitoring service the physical alarm equipment will continue to work as long as it has power. The folks who bought my old house elected not to continue the monitoring service but still used the alarm and sensors as a "local" system.

Regards,

Joe

3. Matt^Brown

Joseph,
    I know there is a Junction box in the basement but I have not messed with it at all. I know that the equipment is at least still physically there because I can see it. The keypad is not currently getting any power because it does not light up. If the power supply to it has been turned off and we turn it back on how do I reset the code? Is there a website that tells you how to work on these units?

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    If it's missing the transformer, then you can buy one on Ebay I bet..

The keypads default to 1234 I think.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Models vary. If you open up the junction box, you'll probably find a breaker off or you may even find a regular 3-prong power cord not connected to anything. (I'm pretty sure my alarm system just plugged into a wall outlet in the garage.) Can you contact the former owner or a former tenant? They can probably give you their old code and once you have that you can always change it. You might try to find an owner's manual or even a service manual on line by searching on the model number. Beyond that I really can't help much because I don't remember my old system that well. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

6. Matt^Brown

Well, I looked on line yesterday and found the operators manual on the ADT website. This tells me everything I need to know ONCE I figure out how to get power to the keypad. I went downstairs and opened up the junction box and everything looked fine to me. I did not find anything unplugged but the system still does not appear to have any power. I should point out that the extent of my wiring knowledge really is just knowing that black is negative and red is positive.[​IMG] I am going to check out my fathers alarm tonight for further assistance. Thanks for the replys.

7. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

How much is ADT charging you for the monitoring per month? ADT installed my system and charged $33 per month, which is ridiculous. I only did it because I got a "free" alarm system. If ADT is making you sign a 3 year contract at $33 or so per month on an existing system, then they are trying to rape you. Try another service. They may be able to get the system up and running for you.

8. Matt^Brown

Marc, I think it was $35 dollars a month but it might have been $33. I went numb when they said that I had to sign a 3 year contract. I'm not sure if I really heard anything correctly after that part of the conversation.

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

At least they told you that there was a 3 year commitment. When I moved into a house 2 years ago and activated the alarm system (I had ADT on my previous house) they never told me about the commitment but it was in the fine print on the back of the sheet that I signed. [​IMG] I didn't know about it until I tried to cancel the monitoring a few months later. However, if you move out of the house where you have the alarm, you won't be held to the contract. I moved out of my house in a year and that ended everything with ADT. The contract is only valid for as long as you live in that house.

IMO alarm monitoring services are a big ripoff. $35/month for doing nothing. If your alarm goes off, the thieves will be long gone by the time the alarm company calls the Police and someone actually gets to your house.

10. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Look in the yellow pages for local alarm service companies. You should be able to find one that will monitor for around $20 month to month. The monitoring site should be UL approved.

11. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

Typical AC power: black- live
    white - neutral
    green - ground

Typical DC: red - hot
    black - ground

12. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Well two things.

1 ADT probably has a lockout on the panel so activation from another company is possible but you may have to replace the "brains" located in the basement,attic or closet. while not monitored the alarm will still function like it should. most likely need to do a reset(as long as it is not locked out) there is also a service code that varies from company to company that allows access to change programming. Lockout, by the way prevents the panel from being reset by another company and retains all of ADT's programming.

2 if you decide to upgrade(depends on how old the system is) then just the keypads and "brains" need replacing. Wireless units most likely need both the brains and motions replaced. It depends on the manufacturer of the alarm panel.

You need to check both ends of the transformer wires to see what colours they used. I'm assuming they used quad aka station wire with four conductors (red,black,yellow,green)Most panels inside have the AC terminal labeled and it is not polarity dependant.I have access to most types of alarm panels manuals the brand I use is DSC. any other I can get the Dsc I have. If u need a users manual I can get one for you. You'll want to change acess codes.

Check the house or kepad and see what is wired. Sometimes I find that some companies don't properly protect the house. Exit doors always should be done. Motions in traffic area(hallways, covering access points)Make sure your house isn't one of the ones that only have one door and one motion. That will not protect the house properly and IMO is a waste of time to activate.

13. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

We have a pretty bare bones adt system.The silent alarm has gone off twice on its own.The first time the cops knocked on the front door, the second time, they "flew" in the back door. Both times were within a few days of each other.

We called ADT, they sent a repair man out, he said it was a programming error. Some how its supposed to make a " test" call once a day at 2 p.m. Well they system had messed up and the call was not being made so they responded.

It has not been an issue since BUT ADT will not cover the police departments "false alarm" bill. I guess you get one freebie, but after that its on you. It's only $30 but its not our fault they installed a bad piece of equipment.

14. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

yeah that happens sometimes. The reason why it is not covered is for a few reasons. One reason is the alarm was working like it was supposed to. It dispatched the police. Why they sent the police on a supervisory error(technical term) without calling the premise first I don't know. Here we set up call lists and can actually specify what constitues and alarm. Sometimes we specify two interior alrams to dispatch police. Doors are always dispatched (after calling premise)and supervisory or trouble code we don't dispatch but only call. Here we get two free false alarms and then its $25, $50, and $75 thereafter.