ADT Home Security

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I will be moving into a new home in the next couple of months. I can't wait!~
    I'm considering having ADT come out to the new house and install a Home Security System.
    Installation: $299.00
    Monthly Charge: $22.99
    Here is the system I was thinking the most about:

Safewatch® Pro 3000
    1 Safewatch® Pro Control Panel
    4 Door/Window Contacts
    1 Indoor Sounder
    1 Safeshield® Motion Detector
    1 Smoke Detector
    1 Heat Sensor
    3 "Protected by ADT" Yard Sign/Window Decals
    1 Quick Key™ Remote
    1 Smart Voice Sounder
    1 Telco Jack with Installation
    6 Month Money-Back Guarantee
    System for Life Guarantee
    Theft Protection Guarantee
    24 Hour Monitoring
    1 Fixed English Display Keypad

In addition, I'll get 15% off my Homeowners Insurance for keeping my ADT system active.
    Does anyone have any experiences with ADT (Good or Bad) that could maybe hekp me make up my mind?
    Thanks in advance!~

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I had ADT at my old house. I was paying close to $35/month for monitoring. I also upgraded and put switches on each door and on some windows that could be crawled through. I used one motion to cover the great room/dining room/part of kitchen area.

The monitoring was good. I tripped it a couple of times and turned it off before they called. Once I didn't make it and they called. Using my password kept them from sending the police. The motion sensor went out and false alarmed when we were out of town and the police to show up so they really call. Once someone (calling herself Mrs. J.)called ADT and tried to get our password. They followed standard procedure and mailed it to our address. I called and chewed some rear even though they followed the rules. They did put a note on my account to NEVER mail the four digit code or password out.

ADT is available in this area but they never returned my phone calls so I went with the service provided by my local phone company. It's only $18 locked in for 5 years. I also went with a more secure system that includes more window switches and a lot more motion sensors. It uses three modes (home, sleep, away) and different sensors are activated on each mode. It cost 5 times as much as the basic ADT system but my wife feels safe when I'm not at home.

-Robert

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have a system too, but not from ADT. The thing is, I don't subscribe to any monitoring service, I only have it so an alarm goes off in the house.

My question is: does it really help to have the monitoring service? It's pretty unusual that thieves break in when people are home, and if they break in when noone's home they're normally out of the house in less than a minute, according to statistics from the sheriff's office here. I can't imagine the response time for the monitoring service to be that quick.

/Mike

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I have an ADT system on my house. Nothing special, just some switches on the doors and a motion detector downstairs by the stairway. About a month ago my wife was trying to turn on the alarm and hit the panic button by mistake. I turned off the alarm and a few minutes later ADT called. We gave them the password and hung up. About fifteen minutes later a policeman showed up at my door. They had called the police anyway. I'm not sure why.

The system seems decent. I haven't had any problems with it or ADT since we got it 3.5 yrs ago. The only advice that I can give is to get everything that you want now because if you try to add stuff on later, they'll charge you an outrageous amount for it. I called them about a year ago to ask about some add-ons and their prices were very high.

5. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Thnaks for all the responses fellas!
    One question I thought of is:
    Just how "sensitive" are these motion detectors?
    We do have 1 cat...and she is failry hyper [​IMG] - So, I'm wondering what I need to do in this case. Will a small object (such as a cat) set these things off?
    My payment will be only $22.99 - so I'll probably go ahead and schedule an install appointment after moving in. This is for being a member of USAA (Federal Savings Bank) and they are who I have our insurance (car and home) and who I have my mortgage with also.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

7. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

I have ADT too, and am satisfied. My only advice would be to NOT get the wireless system. Have every sensor hard wired to the control panel. That eliminates the possibility of jamming, or failure due to battery or signal problems.

8. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I will also be closing on a home in 30 days. I know they have a security system in place but I'll have to find out exactly what it is.

My fiamcee's brother works for an international company that does commercial-only installations of security surveillance equipment...but can get as a package which we can tailor for a home for $1500 with video cams, motion detectors, alarms, and a bunch of other stuff. Might be a little OTT though, we'll see.

Here's an article from CR:

"Why alarm systems help

Equipping your home with an electronic alarm system is the single best way to deter an intruder. (A window decal or a sign warning that the house is monitored may be enough to deter some would-be burglars.) An alarm system can be especially helpful if you live in a detached single-family house in the suburbs, one set apart on a cul-de-sac or adjacent to a wooded area, but still close to a major thoroughfare that can provide a fast getaway.

Studies show that homes with an electronic security system are roughly two to three times less likely to be burglarized than homes without one. The results of a recent survey of Consumer Reports subscribers support those findings.

Nearly 1,700 respondents to our 1997 Annual Questionnaire reported a burglary attempt in the past five years. (By and large, these readers lived in fairly affluent suburban areas with a low crime rate.) In homes with an alarm system, the crook got into the house 30 percent of the time. But subscribers without an alarm system said the crook gained entry 52 percent of the time. The median property loss for readers with an alarm system was $812, compared with $1,513 for homes without.

Just as important, an alarm system provides families with peace of mind. Alarm owners in our survey were considerably more satisfied with their security measures than those without."
    CONSUMER REPORTS

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

You also might get a lower insurance premium if you have an alarm system. At least we do.