What's new

ADS HDUP1500 Scaler (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
It has been posted before. I wish I was brave enough to try it.

Let us know if you plan to proceed with aquiring one.

PS: The reviews seem mixed....

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I want some kind of doohickey with analog video inputs and a VGA output, which most scalers seem to have, but I want it to support Closed Captions, which I have rarely or never seen mentioned. Does anybody know of one? the product referenced does not seem to.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
There is no way CC can be passed through a scaler. The information is located on the vertical blank of an interlaced frame. Once a device changed it to progressive (or scaled to another resolution) the data will be corrupt and the only way to not show the corrupt data is by bypassing the data (in this case, CC) altogether.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Of course you can't pass CC through a scaler, and computer monitors &c. couldn't decode it if it were passed through! What I am talking about is a Closed Caption Decoder, which would generate the appropriate text and superimpose it on the video at an appropriate resolution, just the way that the text is generated and superimposed inside the TV. External caption decoders exist, and perhaps could be inserted into a scaler feed line, but I would rather not impose too many processing steps in the video chain.

James Phung

Second Unit
Any more information on this box? I'm thinking of getting this for my projector and use it as a tv tuner. The PIP functions seem nice and it will make my projector work more like a tv set in away it seems.

I checked the manual from http://www.adstech.com/products/HDUP...p?pid=HDUP1500

It seems to do Close Captioning. Most tv tuners should have some sort of CC feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.