What's new

ADP 170 versus 370 (1 Viewer)

Rob Morse

Auditioning
I just upgraded from denon 1801 to 3802 and will be adding dipoles for the center rear. My current set up is:

Monitor 7v2 fronts

CC-370 center

Atoms rears

PS 1200 subwoofer (Yeah I know, but I was out of cash!)

My question is this, should I change the atoms to mini-monitors, and then match up with the ADP-370's, or would it be fine just to buy the ADP-170's and be done with it for a much lower cost? My room size is 12 by 22, and I have been happy with the Atom's so far, as they seem to be doing the job fine as surrounds.

If I buy the 170's, I will be that much closer ($$) to replacing the PS1200, which by the way is fine for HT, but for sure is lacking on music playback.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,

If you like the way the Atoms sound with your Monitor fronts (and it sounds like you are), I'd absolutely go with the ADP-170s. It's my understanding that each ADP-170 is basically two Atoms set in a dipole configuration, so that should be a great setup.

I'm running ADP-170s with my Monitor 11s and CC-370 and it sounds great.

John

Rob Morse

Auditioning
John,

Thanks for your opinion. I must admit I am a little surprised that my question did not elicit more responses in light of all the paradigm users on this forum, but what the hay.

BTW, why did you choose the 170's over the 370's especially since the 370's are "timber matched" to the monitor 11's and the CC370? Also, are you running a 5.1 set-up? What do you use your system for more, music or HT?

Rob

Andrew B

Agent
I have recently upgraded all of my speakers to go with the full 7.1 setup on my Denon 3802. Anyway I went the route of Minis and ADP-370's to go with my 7's, CC-370 and PW-2200. I really liked the sound of the ADP-370 over the 170, its sort of like compairing a set of mini's to a pair of Atoms, much cleaner and better low end. I personally think it made a big difference, plus having the timber match was a big thing after running some old Kenwood speakers for rears (can you say yuck?). The other thing you might want to consider is power handling of the speakers. The rating of the 370's and Minis is a lot higher than the 170's and Atoms, and with the 110 watt of the Denon it may be possible to blow them if you like to listen to loud stuff :) Anyway thats my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Andrew

Rob Morse

Auditioning
Thanks Andrew. You have the system that I want already. I am just going to have to go listen to the atoms/170's versus the mini's/370's and make the decision regardless of the cost.

Tell me, have you noticed a big difference in the 7.1 setup versus the 6.1? What DVD's have you compared? Have you tried out Gladiator DTS ES?

Rob

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I started to look at the ADP-170s instead of the 370s is because of height constraints in the location where I wanted to mount my surrounds. I also liked the look of the v3 170s better with their angled sides. I'm sure they do have a different timbre, but I've never noticed an issue while watching a 5.1 movie. It may be an issue if you listen to a lot of 5.1 (or PLII) music, but I only listen to 2-channel music in stereo anyway so that wasn't an issue for me.

Bottom line, I'm sure the 370s sound even better, but for the limited demands that are made of surround speakers, the extra money you have to pay for them made the value questionable to me. As always, take a listen and decide for yourself.

John

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Rob:

You said you want to add dipoles for "center rears." I assume you mean for side surrounds. Your monopoles (Atoms or mini-monitors) should act as rear surrounds in a 6.1 system.

Personally, I have demoed all the speakers mentioned and I will say that in the rear and surround capacity, the differences among them are not that pronounced to me. For fronts of course, that is another matter.

There is a large difference between any pair of dipoles as surrounds vs. any pair of monopoles. They just have a different sound. But between one pair of dipoles and the next for surround duty, I think that your money may be better spend on a different aspect of your system. The Mini-Monitors and ADP-370's WILL sound better, so you have to judge for yourself how much better and what your financial constraints are. Personally, if I were operating on very limited money, I get the 170's, stay with Atoms, and put the extra into your subwoofer. But that's just me.

Also, keep in mind that timbre matching between fronts and rears is not critical.

Rob Morse

Auditioning
Normally I would agree the dipoles go left and right rear and the monopoles would be the center rears in the perfect room, however due to room constraints ("L" shaped room) the monopoles will remain the left and right rears and the dipoles will be rear centers. I have investigated this set up already and although not optimal it is acceptable for HT, and actually preferable for music listening (although I prefer 2 channel music myself).

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks