What's new

Adolescent Sci-Fi books (50's - '60s) - anyone recognize any of these? (1 Viewer)

Craig

Second Unit
1) An ice age has covered the Northern Hemisphere. Contact is established with London, and an expedition from New York heads out on rocket sleds. They have to battle outlaw gangs and packs of wolves on the way. (I think this is from the late 50s).

2) In the future, the interstates have lanes that are color coded for speed, cars travel at 300mph between cities. The good guys and bad guys battle with force field weapons. The loser gets entrapped in an ever shrinking field that eventually squashes him into a rectangle of bloody pulp a few inches square. (A little James Bondish, maybe early to mid 60s?).

3) An expedition to the Amazon encounters prehistoric beasts, primitive tribes, etc. Their progress is tracked by a ham radio operator with a bunch of ancient radio gear. He is the only person who can receive the faint signals, other high tech receivers mysteriously aren't effective. (50's maybe?).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The first one sounds like something by Arthur C. Clarke. Dunno the title, though; and it could be just a short story rather than a novel. Or am I mixing it up with another short story by Clarke?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I've read the first one too, but not the others. I wasn't into short stories back then, so I'm going with a novel - by Clarke. It sounds like him.

Glenn

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are no Arthur Clarke stories being described here. The first one sounds a little like something from Brian Aldiss, but he wouldn't have written about "battles."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've also read the 1st one. However, I don't think it was by Clarke. I'm pretty sure I still have the book at home - I'll check tonight.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Found it! (Yes, I still have EVERY book I have ever owned.)

Book #1 is "Time Of The Great Freeze" by Robert Silverberg. Published in 1964.

Here's the back cover blurb (also proof that spoilers predated the Internet ;) ):
Pretty typical 60s SF/adventure for boys.

I have no clue on the other 2.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The second one sounds a bit like "The Roads Must Roll" by Robert A. Heinlien (sp?). In that book the "roads" were in actuality sorta like the moving sidewalks at airports, many lanes wide with each successive lane moving a bit faster than the one next to it. There were permanent structures like diners actually built on the lanes.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
God, there is something to be said for 1950s/60s SF.. I have a few hundred of those books..

Some of my favorites:

Cordwainer Smith's "Planet Buyer"
Paul Anderson's "High Crusade" (though the movie was terrible and didn't play as well as the book)

God, there are so many.. there was a book, called "Reconstructed Man" a "Sci-Fi" title about Aliens allowing a man to have semi-super-human power.. that was a wild one.. and a few others..

I still have crates of old books. Wouldn't part with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks