Adobe Premiere Pro and Main Concept MPEG exoprter

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Aug 1, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Right now I am using Adobe Premiere 6.5 and the Main Concept MPEG exporter v1.3 to make MPEG1 movies for CD-Rom.

I am in the process of upgrading to Adobe Premiere Pro and I just noticed that the Main Concept MPEG exporter is no longer in it's free beta stage. The newest version "1.3.1" is $49 if you own Premiere 6.5

I've read that Premiere Pro exports MPEG 1/2. Does anyone know if you still need the Main Concept exporter to still do this or is it incorporated into the program?

I just went through a long meeting with my supervisor about upgrading a bunch of software so this extra $49 (which I would need to buy for a few workstations) is kind of a big issue. If I am to buy the $49 exporter, I need to redo my P.O.'s soon, but I don't want to buy it now and find out that I didn't need to when I get Premiere Pro (which I believe comes out near the end of August).

Anyone know?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Premiere 6.5 has MPEG-1/2 built in

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

How is it built in? Before installing the Main Concept encoder I couldn't figure it out.

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

From this review, I infer that the situation for Pro is much like 6.5: MPEG support is "in the box", provided by Main Concept, not natively "built in". If the encoder in Pro has 2-pass and 1.3.1 does not, then it would imply that just like Adobe, Main Concept has in some sense abandoned the past and is moving ahead.

//Ken

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    what exactly is adobe premiere pro? i can only find info on premiere 6.5, nowhere is it called pro, is it another product they make?

CJ

edit---ok it is 15 seconds later, and i found info on premiere pro, guess i should look before i post! now, what are the benefits of upgrading to pro?

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think it's the new name of Premiere RT. Basically instead of rendering it can do operations in real time on a huge amount of tracks