What's new

Adjustments to having an HDTV??? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I was just wondering how many of you had to make adjustments to what your eyes saw when watching dvds or HiDef programs when you first purchased your Widescreen HDTV.

I mean, people always say that a really really good speaker will bring out all the imperfections of a recording.

Can the same be said for a Television.

Basically, I am watching most of my dvd's over again now that I have my new tv (Tosh 51H84) and am noticing artifacts and grainyness, and focus issues in these dvd's that I never noticed on my 32" direct view. Most of the dvd's are anamorphically enhanced as well. And there are times when a character is far away and they seem grainy and out of focus and you really can't tell any of their facial characteristic. But when they move up close those characteristics come out brilliantly. Yet in both cases, they were the focal point of the scene.

Any thoughts on this?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Like most, the imperfections in SDTV are apparent to me since I switched from a 27" direct view CRT to a 57" CRT RPTV. I never have a problem with HD programming though. It always looks better than anything did on my old set. For DVDs, I guess I notice film specks and stuff on older transfers, maybe some edge enhancement and other things that weren't so apparent on my smaller set. But I don't let it take away from the overall experience. I enjoy my big screen and won't ever go back. I've done what I can to make the tv/movie experience in my house complete, good receiver speakers and sub, good display, component connections, digital sound, etc. If the big screen makes certain flaws a little more apparent, I might notice them, but I forget about them as soon as some other part of the HT experience wows me. My advice would be to make sure that you are getting the best picture possible -- good connections, good equipment, good programming or dvd -- and then sit back and enjoy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Have you calibrated your set with Avia or DVE????

Makes a big difference on at least some of the stuff your see'n. Even just the basic user calibration, if you have neither of these find a DVD with THX optimizer on it, it will get you much closer then you are now for sure if you have not calibrated the display.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
Viewing distance can play a part also as well as the display technology. Since the screen is much bigger it'll accentuate the good AND bad in the video signal. I went from a 56" CRT RP to a 55" LCD RP and although the picture is MUCH sharper and brighter I also see more flaws than with the CRT RP tv. Again, it brought out even more of the good...and bad.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I made quite a few adjustments. I got the my TV professionally calibrated and then had to get used to the way the STD channels looked on it; they looked absolutely dismal, except for a few stations. The HD channels took my breath away though. Yes, I was actually annoyed at how grainy some films looked on the large widescreen, but it took a couple of movie theater outings to show me that a lot of films ARE grainy. This was brought home when I went to see "Cold Mountain." I was surprised that the movie looked better on my TV than it did in the cinema!! After reading all I could on the issue, here and on other forums, I realized it was the 3:2 pull down and progressive upconversion that my TV was making on 480i sources (I still had a non-progressive DVD when I got my TV)that was making the viewing experience more "filmlike." Now that I have an upconverting DVD player, I wouldn't have it any other way.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks