Adjustments on Harman Kardon system

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BurtS, Mar 26, 2004.

1. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Im running a harman kardon avr325, 2 technique speackers(front)polk rm 6700 speakers with a mtx 12 inch sub. Do I just hook up all my surrounds straight to my receiver and just run the powered sub from the receiver. Also what crossover settings etc. do I set. Should be getting my avr325 from the repair shop next week, just preparing.

2. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

What Crossover settings do I put it for my front and surrounds? Its on preset of 100

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A general compromise crossover setting would be 80 Hz. Assuming, of course, your receiver allows for it.

4. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Is it alright to leave the main power on the receiver on at all times or should I turn it off(Button that you push down and stays down)

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'd switch it off, to "standby" mode. Some people leave the things turned on 24/7, but I emphatically would not do this.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That "main" switch should stay in. The other "lit" button is the one to use daily.

7. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

So I got my xover settings[​IMG]ront 100, center 80, surrounds 80, Is this correct, I got polk rm6700 for center and surrounds and a mtx subwoofer set at 120

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I don't think you have them high enough. The appear to have 3.5 inch drivers, and my guess is that they have little output below 120Hz.

If you have a test disc with tones in that area, try it the way you have it but unplug or shut down the sub. See where the mains drop off and adjust accordingly. Since thay all will perform the same, the main's response will be the same for all, adjust the same for each channel.

If 120 is an option, try that, and keep the sub as close to the mains as you can.

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Some companies suggest that their mini speakers be run full range, and to blend the sub by ear. Energy does that.

It's up to you and your ears, though. But generally, keep the bass away from the mains. If they cut off acoustically (-6db) at 90, x over at least at 100, prolly 120....

Tools that are useful = RS SPL meter, test disc burned with custom tones, and prozac because this will all drive you nuts. Set it up and forget about it.