What's new

Adjusting signal to sub and shakers.... (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Having spllit my sub out signal to run my SVS and the amp for the bass shakers, I find that the recommended -5 (or so) lfe setting to set the sup properly just takes away too much from the shakers. How is everyone else doing this?
I have a RXV1 receiver, 20-39PC SVS.... shakers are pro auras driven at 4 ohms by a M45 Yamaha amp (full volume), 120wpc. Ought to be far enough to pound the shakers, nevertheless, the -5 sub level just takes too much away. I found myself running a 0 sub level setting and adjusting the gain on the svs but then the sub will bottom on loud passages. Balancing these 2 is hard as hell to get the most out of each.... any advice is appreciated.
------------------

John H

Second Unit
I do not see why your subwoofer is bottoming out if you are compesating by reducing it's amplifiers gain when raising the RXV1's internal adjustment value.
Are you using a SPL meter for calibration adjustments?
John
------------------
Link Removed
...tryin to fix a hole in the ocean, tryin to make a dovetail joint

I'm actually surprised you're having this problem. I also have a 20-39PC. I have four aura 25watt shakers on my couch driven by an old Marantz receiver that I THINK is only 50watts per channel. They are in series at 8ohms. I have the sub signal split from an Outlaw 1050. In order to get the right balance I have actually turned down the Marantz to about 75% volume and have the receiver at about -9.
Your problem might have something to do with how loud you want the shakers to be. I try to balance it so you don't really notice them, you just think the sub is really shaking the couch.
The best solution would probably be an equalizer, especially one that has its own gain control. That way you can adjust the volume separate from the receiver, but before it gets to the amp. I just ordered one from ebay, you can find some pretty good deals there on eqs if you look under the pro-audio equipment section.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have a Denon sub out daisy-chained to 2 subs and to a receiver for the shakers. I got 4 Pro shakers in series driven by a 100wpc receiver. The LFE is down to -12 (the lowest) while the shaker rec is up to about 60%. The subs don't bottom out or anything and like Ben said, the shakers just seem to kick in when it matters. I used to like the "rumbling" really intense but it seemed I was having a massage. So, per recommendations of members here, I turned down the treble control on the shaker rec, and reduced the volume just right that I don't feel them when someone shouts out loud.
I have tried to calibrate it with Avia but I frankly don't know if I did it right. Can someone throw us a bone here maybe?
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yeah, guess I am looking for more than each section of the system is able to give. I DO like my couch shaking at every nuance of low end and I like that SVS doing it's thig too.... with significance.
I tried two pair of Pro Shakers but the 8 ohm load just didn't kick at all at 120 watts per. I now use only 2 shakers, sending equal power to each at 4 ohm after sending a mono signal to each channel of the amp.
Every saturday for a month, I have configured, reconfigured and reconfigured and I guess I have to agree that an eq may well be an answer.
Thanks everyone for the input.
------------------

John H

Second Unit
I have to agree that an eq may well be an answer.
An equalizer may be helpful to flatten the 45Hz peak of the Aura's.
I would not use it to boost the low frequencies as the Aura's have limited travel already.
If you are using an SPL meter to correct the gain of your subwoofer once you raise the receivers setup you should not have any problems.
John
------------------
Link Removed
...tryin to fix a hole in the ocean, tryin to make a dovetail joint

KevinMcL

Agent
I tapped off my front speakers for the shakers' signal, and literally turned speaker-level to RCA. No converter, just spliced RCA connectors onto speaker wire. During loud passages, I have a little over 10V of signal going into my shaker amp(10 year old Technics 70w/ch)with no problem. I have perfect, independant control over the shakers, using the 2nd Rx's remote. (I removed the IR eye from the Rx's circuit board, and mounted it to the front of the remote, and mounted the remote on the side of my couch, just below the arm.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks