What's new

Adjusting overscan on Sony KP51WS520 (1 Viewer)

Joseph.C

Grip
I'm using the ATI DVI-Component dongle to output to my WS520. I noticed when watching some HDTV that the channel's logo seems to be cutoff at the right slightly. How can i adjust the overscan of this set?

Also, this might be the problem: When using the Avia test pattern it seems that the picture is slightly pushed to the right. There is more space on the left hand side than the right. There also seems to be a squishing effect on the left side of the screen(only about 1/8 of an inch). Its only noticeable when there is a CNN like text ticker at the bottom, or when there is panning across the screen in a movie. My parent's Sony RPTV also does this. Can adjusting the overscan fix this?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In which modes is this happening? It's normal to get some cropping in any of the zoom or stretch modes.

I have the Sony KP-57WS520 and have had my picture centered and overscan reduced. Reducing your RPTV's overscan requires you have experience in convergence and geometry. If you have never done this before, I strongly suggest hiring a professional to do it. What percentage is your overscan at using the Avia pattern? I was able to get mine down to around 4% before experience any significant line bending. Keep in mind reducing overscan usually means while more of the edge of the picture will be seen, it won't be quite as sharp. The center of your screen is always the sharpest --- as your move away from it, it will become less sharp. As you get near the edges of the screen, it's at the most extreme.

Also, regarding picture centering, there is a mechanism in these sets that occasionally shifts your picture around slightly -- so your picture will never be centered in a certain way 100% of the time. It's been confirmed by many people with this model and its predecessors. On a Sony TV forum, it's been suspected that this is a form of preventive burn-in as there is some kind of service menu item for this. If your picture is only very slightly off-centered, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It will be impossible to have it centered at ALL times. Again, there is a shifting mechanism to avoid burn-in. Try keeping your TV on for an hour and look back at that pattern -- it will have changed.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there might be a way to do it in the service menu IF you know exactly what you are doing. There are a couple of service menu items that seem to effect it. I'm having this discussion right now at Home Theater Spot.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There are a few items in the Mid 1 and Mid4 section that help to rescale the entire image to fit the viewable rasters ...

Go there and figure it out ... about 4 items per group ... and one of the first 1 to 8 items ...

regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It was reported over at Home Theater Spot that changing the MID might negatively affect resolution.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Trade offs ... everything is ...

Losing resolution on things you can't see or losing resolution on seeing more of it ...

Of course we lose resolution on widescreen films too because of the black bars. If we watch p/S ... we get more resolution ...

Same argument.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Have you noticed the faint wave problem I've been complaining about? The waves are very noticable and annoying on dark blue or black backgrounds. Sony is telling me they are on all similar model sets and I've had a few people with similar sets tell me they seem them too. I just can't believe more people don't notice them. They are so extreme that I don't think I can keep the set if there is no fix for it.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I have not noticed that as of yet.

Since Sony says it is on every unit ... I suggest that you go to a store that has the TV on display and look at the demo and see if you see the same effect ... if not ... then you have a case ...

Mind you, could they say that all TV's of this line come broken ... guess not.

Go take a look ...

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

I have gone to several stores. I've looked closely and don't see them. However, as you know, there is so much light in the store it's hard to tell.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So your homework is to verify that they don't have it. Bring a dark blanket if you have to ... store people are reasonable ...

regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I went to a store which had a pretty dark room. I then put my black coat -- which is fairly long -- on top of me and the set, as well. It was definitely dark enough. The TV was NOT exhibiting the waves. However, it was the 51" model and not the 57" which I have --- same 520 series though. They didn't have any 57" on display. Of course, I still need to verify for the 57", but I doubt it will matter in this case.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
You mere have to tell them that you have seen a number os sets in stores that do no exhibit the problem so not all of them have it ...

Hence you want one of those without the issue ... since they clearly exist ... provide them with lists of stores ... they will never check it out anyway ...

regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mike - I have another question (unrelated).

I had my tv ISF'd in PRO mode. However, I seem to prefer MOVIE mode instead as the gamma is better. Also, the image seems sharper without added edge enhancement.

Since my TV was calibrated in PRO, will using MOVIE mode make make greyscale now less than optimal for viewing? Does either mode (which effects brightness and contrast) make a difference here?

Thanks.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
But isn't PRO mode supposed to be the closest to the "correct" calibration? I have noticed a difference in MOVIE and PRO modes with the exact same values. I'd like a definitive answer on this...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
To my understanding, PRO is the "purest" mode --- with absolutely no enhancements (SVM, etc.).

However, I find MOVIE gives a bit better gamma and I don't find the SVM or whatever is causing the sharper picture to give false, white edge enhancement. In other words, it gives a sharper picture will no ill effects that I can tell.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll take back some of what I just said. Looking a bit closer....the visible white enhancement might be slightly more noticable in MOVIE mode.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
greetings

go to movie mode and match the settings to pro mode ...

grayscale will carry over ... only some things like sharpness might be slightly different and they don't affect grayscale ...

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks