Adjusting a sub for a movie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I recently bought a SVS 20-39 and I love it. I am now on a bass movie hunt. I can only watch movies that have bass potential. lol Anyway some movies fall short with regard to bass. I have my system all calibrated. Do you guys change the bass from movie to movie or just leave it at the appropriate setting? Thanks! BTW I can no longer watch Jurassic Park. I have JP3 on DVD and it rocks! I watched the original on VHS and it does not rock. I now have to go out and by the DVD version. It seems the DTS one is the best.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Nope. I never adjust my SVS for movies. It's calibrated properly with Avia so movies that are well mixed to the reference standards should, and do sound great. Those that don't you'll just have to write off to bad mixing.

People that are constantly jockeying the sub level up and down usually have a crappy sub or they have poor setup.

The only time I tweak the bass level up or down 1db is for straight music playback where it can make a big impact on the overall balance.

For movies it should only be a matter of increasing the overall volume if you want more impact.

My 7 cents.

3. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Thanks for the response. That is what I have done so far.