Adire's 281's? Should I?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I have heard great things about these speakers, however not being able to audition them before I anti-up is not something I feel very comfortable doing. Currently I have Energy C-2s and an AC-300, which sound very good, Im just worried I may be missing something I didnt know was there, and these Adires seem to be the best way to go for so many reasons. Im just not sure about the most important thing: SOUND?
    Will thesew speakers "open up" my sound stage alot more then my C-2s do? I need reassurance [​IMG] And alot of it [​IMG] Will I need a sono to go with these? Im mainy concerned that if they dont sound as good as my C-2s(not likely, I know your all snikering [​IMG]) Im stuck with them. Whats Dans return policy? [​IMG]
    On another note, If I do decide to go this route, I was planning on building 3 281s(sealed for the center, vented for L/R fronts and then later get a pair of 81s for the rear) What do YOU think?
    Thanks for your time,
    Adam

2. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Adam,
    I can't answer your question about how the Adires compare to the Energys but I can comment on the Adires in general.
    I recently built a 281 for a center, and am currently in the middle of building a pair of 81's for mains. (I plan to also build 281s for mains but have no room for them at the moment. So the 81s will fill in and then move to the rear someday.)
    With that said I love my 281, it is an incredible sounding speaker. Everyone that has had a chance to hear it have been impressed with it's clarity and fullness. My bro-inlaw even commented on how it wastes his Paradigm, and he never gives into defeat. With that said I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything commercially that can compete with the Adire at the same price level.
    Hope this helps,
    -EJ
    ps-If you'd like to see how my 281 turned out, check out my HT site link below.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    my HT site

3. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else?

4. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

i just heard mike knapps 281 and they sound fantastic.
    as i recall he upgraded from energys, so he would be the one to ask.
    fwiw, the only reason i havent built a set of 281's is their size. im still convincing myself that i want big tower speakers in place of the little speaks on stands i use now.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)

5. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

Adam,
    I have been very impressed with the sound quality that my 281s produce. They are easy to listen to for long periods at elevated volume levels. This to me is a great test for any loudspeaker. I listen to all types of music from bluegrass to classical and they can effectively do it all. I have not found a commercial speaker that I like better for anywhere near the money I have invested. I can't imagine that you would not be happy with them, plus there are a lot of us now who can offer advice along the way. I say, join the club.