Adire Tumult

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric D Wong, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

Hello everybody I'm new here. Anyway I have on my hands an Adire Tumult sub. Pretty interesting sub alright. It rumbles awesome and sends shockwaves thru the house. However, I'm having a little bit of difficulty integrating it with my main speakers (magnepan MGIIIAs). I can see this sub integrating great with a conventional setup however. In addition, I'm probly going away to college soon and I wont be able to take this with me, so this unit might be up for sale. I think it might deserve a better owner then me. [​IMG]

2. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Stunt Coordinator

Just curiously, in what is the enclosure TYPE and size? If it is with passive radiators, what is the Fb?

3. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

What type of amplifier are you using for it?

4. Eric D Wong

Ive been trying different amps. I have a Cinepro 600x2, a Adcom GFA 2535 (weakest) and a Crown Macro-Tech 5000vz. I've used 2 different X overs- a Audio Control Richter Scale III as well as a Ashly XR2001 pro audio X over. They are both 24 db/octave Linkwitz/Riley units. The PA crossover is alot more adjustable then the A/C unit is so I used that when "experimenting".

Enclosure is a 2.5 cubic (net) sealed Sonotube enclosure that I made. I've tried moving it around the room etc.
    The most difficulty I have is right around the X over frequency, as verified by both my ears and my real time analyzer. I've tried playing with the phase as well minimize phase cancellation.

5. Greg Peniston

I have a Tumult as well, and it had all the impact I could hope for but was a little lacking in finesse until I got a 1/3 octave 31 band eq with a subsonic filter and the Stryke test cd. The difference is almost night and day as it greatly helps to tame the room and get rid of the midbass hump which also had me looking to turn it down or find a lower x-over point. Now I have it running at 80hz with some GR Reseach AV2s and the integration is so much smoother.

6. Eric D Wong

I dont have a 1/3 octave EQ but the Audio Control unit has a 1/2 octave EQ. However, my problem is the exact reverse as yours. I dont have enough midbass and too much "rumble" bass.

7. Eric D Wong

OK, I played with the woofer for the past week. Its not integrating with the Maggies. [​IMG] If anybodys interested its on ebay, search for it under "Tumult".

8. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

If you want more midbass "bump" you could have simply added something to the interior of the enclosure to fill volume and bring the total Q up a bit. Just a thought...

9. Eric D Wong

I thought the reverse was true... by making the box smaller would give it less low bass but more midbass?

10. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

you're right -- making the total Q higher yields more midbass which can be done by reducing the internal volume.
    Too late now. [​IMG]

11. Eric D Wong

Ooops, I didnt read your post correctly- either way internal volume would be reduced getting a higher Q for more midbass.......

12. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator

Dipole that sucker before you sell it. Just temporarily mount it on a 2'x4' piece of MDF, prop it up in the room and EQ it more or less flat with your Audio Control unit. After you pick your jaw up off the floor, you can start refining the design by perusing the linkwitzlab.com site. [​IMG]

13. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I agree with Dennis. Try a Dipole design if you have the room for it as it will match up best with your Maggies. Dont give up on it!

14. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

you guys leave him alone. . .I was thinking about trying to win the ebay auction!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]