What's new

Adire Tempest SBB4 Vented Subwoofer ..... (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
is equal to what retail subs on the market ? I'm currently in the works of building a DIY Tempest sub using Adires reference SBB4 design found here:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF

My amp will be a Kenwood 125 watt per channel reciever (using both channels to power the Tempest). I plan on upgrading to a Behringer EP1500 in the future.

I was just curious to see what this sub will be comparable to on the retail market. Thanks for any input you guys give :).

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
People usually build the Adire Allignment or EBS allignment. Very few do the SBB4 (not saying it's bad, for mostly HT use it might even be the best). I currently have a Tempest in a 260L enclosure tuned to somewhere between 16 and 17hz using a 6" straight pipe.

Go listen to a Paradigm PW2200. The SBB4 will play lower louder. Would take somewhere between 1.5 and 2 PW2200 subs to match a SBB4 Tempest above 25hz. Below 25hz it would take at least 2.

Sound quality will be very similar. The Adire and EBS allignments will have less punch (more musical if you like that description) than the SBB4 but play even lower.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I myself picked the Adire alignment for my vented Tempest. I thought it was a good mix between the home theater impact of the SBB4 design and the deep bass extension of the EBS design.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Thanks for the input. I've never heard a PW2200 but it retails for quite a bit so I guess I did indeed save quite a bit of $$$$. I just wanted a rough idea of how much money I saved going the DIY route and it was quite a bit. After materials the cost is roughly $400 CND (excluding the amp I already owned). I had to buy no tools because I have many different friends with many different talents and resources :).

In regards to your post Scott, I chose the SBB4 design because my HT is used for 90% DVDs and 10% Music. I figure the SBB4 won't be BAD for music anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks