What's new

Adire Shive or Tempest and AVA250 (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for starting the new thread but I want more people to take a look at this. The more opinions I get the better (especially if they agree).
Right now I'm thinking either a Shiva in Adire's vented SBB4 or EBS allignment. I like the lower frequency extension of the EBS allignment and the lower group delays, but when I plug it into LspCAD (with AVA250 power) it gives an excursion curve that from about 22hz to 40hz has the driver past its 31.6mm excurions limit (the range is a little smaller if I drop the power from 180W to 125W). In the 25-30hz range it's almost 2cm past the excursion limit of the Shiva. The SBB4 only goes past 31.6mm for a couple hz around 30 and only by 1 or 2 mm. Will this be a real problem with the EBS allignment and the Shiva at moderate to some what loud levels when watching movies.
So for the hell of it I decided to see what happened if I dropped a Tempest into the EBS box designed for the Shiva with one 4" port tuned to 17.5hz. LspCAD then didn't show any excursion problems, showed lower group delays than either of the Shiva allignments, had port airspeed that stayed under 20m/s until below 20hz and stayed over 100db until about 18hz. Is there something I'm missing with this idea, seems too good to be true? I'm at the point where I'm dangerous, I know enough to be ready to really screw things up :P
Any info or input is appreciated. And as always, opinions or first hand knowledge about how any of these three possibilities would perform when compared to a Paradigm PW2200 are what I want the most.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
the range is a little smaller if I drop the power from 180W to 125W
That's actually the correct way to model the AVA250 with LSPCad. If you're connecting the VCs in parallel, the program sees a 4-ohm load, and automatically doubles the power that you plug into the box (says 8-ohms). So, if you plug in 125 watts, the program applies 250 4-ohm watts, the AVA250's rating.
A few folks have apparently applied quite a bit more power than LSPCad's cone excursion diagram would have you believe is possible,though, with no ill-effects.
------------------
Link Removed

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
While both are very good drivers, I tend to like the Tempest a little better. I have run both drivers and the Tempest seems to put out the bass a little more effortlessly while sounding very musical.
I have my Tempest in a 225L enclosure tuned to 19Hz. and it sounds very tight and puts out tons of bass. While I have never compared the Paradigm 2200 directly, I can almost guarantee the Tempest will beat it in volume and extension.
------------------

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
This may sound dumb but where do you place the AVA250 in a sonotube subwoofer? All the sonotube designs I've seen do not have these flat plate amps incorporated into the body of the enclosure. Does the amp mount to the sonotube, or somewhere else? Am I'm "trippin?"

Users who are viewing this thread