What's new

Adire Rava vs SVS 25-31 PCi (1 Viewer)

KirkA

Agent
Well I about had myself talked into an SVS 20-39 PCi, then I got out the tape measure. I might can get away with it when we finish a family (TV) room but for now the tv room is also the living room and large black cylinders don't blend well with the decor (WAF).

So it's back to "Plan A" which is probably going to be an Adire Rava. It seems like the Rava is hard to beat for the price. The only SVS I could get away with at this point would be the 25-31 but I'd really like to get down to at least 20. Can anyone tell me how the SVS compares to the Rava, as far as which is lower, louder, tighter? The SVS would have to be quite a bit better to justify the price difference especially if the prices go back up at the end of the month. I'd really like some opinions from people who have experience with one or both of these, if there's anything I've learned it's that specs are worthless.

PS 12x18 room, vaulted ceilings connect to similar size room. 66% movies : 33%tunes. JBL NSP1s, Yammy receiver.

Thanks!

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've got one of the original 25-31PC's and a DIY sealed sub with the parts express 12" DVC driver in 1.3 cu ft stuffed, driven by the PE 250 watt plate amp. The driver and amp are very similar to those in the Rava and the sealed sub should be fairly similar. I'd expect the Rava might go a tiny bit lower. But this is about as close as you can get without actually having a 25-31PCi or a Rava. I mostly listen to music but when I play movies I demand a room-shaking performance.

The SVS is most definately a step up in terms of depth and quantity. I find that in my very large, open living room the sealed sub just can't plunge to the depths like the SVS can. In a smaller room its certainly adequate. But I think the SVS will still show its superiority. And I find that overall I can push the SVS (the original, not the improved) about 5-6dB louder with bottom trawling movies like Titan AE and Toy Story 2 (for music the sealed is about as loud as the SVS). Now I'm also of the opinion that the 25-31 sees the least benefit from the improved driver since its tuned higher and its rumble filter starts earlier.

As far as "tightness" goes I've always been very pleased with the SVS. I don't find that the sealed sub is any "tighter" or "faster". It just rolls off sooner. I know people in general will subconsciously associate early rolloff with better accuracy but after living with the SVS that's not the case for me. In fact, a new home theater buddy and I are planning some DIY ported sonosubs and I'll be cannibalizing the driver and amp from the sealed sub.

The current $500 is an amazing price for the 25-31. When the original was introduced it was almost $700 with shipping!!! And it was worth it.

Arron H

Second Unit
Hi Kirk,

Your situation is just about where I was a few months ago. I have a similar size living room that also serves as the HT room. I purchased a 25-31PCi and found that it was too big for the decor. It actually measured out at about 33" inches tall. I ended up with a Rava instead (18" x 18" including the 2" pedestal).

The 25-31PCi will definately play lower, especially if you have SVS tune it to 22Hz. You would give up a few Dbs of overall output above 25Hz if you go with the lower tuning point. It is really a nice sub, it just did not work for my room dimensions.

In my experience, the Rava is flat to 28Hz but drops about 6Db at 25Hz and also 20Hz. It will not equal the output of an SVS 25-31PCi but I do not listen at reference and so, this is not as big of a deal to me. I was willing to go with the 22Hz tuning point on the SVS for this very reason as well.

The Rava really shines for music. Palpable, smooth, authoritative, undistorted, seamless, need I say more? The Rava's reputation as an outstanding musical sub is very well deserved. It does a respectable job on movies as well. It is not an HGS18 but maybe an HGS12 is not too far off.

You may also want to check on a HSU VTF2 in your price range. Good luck.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Comparing the Rava with the 25-31 is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. The Rava was designed with music in mind first and foremost. Because of this it trades off total SPL potential for a lower Q which usually equates to a tighter sound and easier integration with the mains. The SVS was designed as a good all around sub which may do better on HT but maybe not quite as well with music. I say "maybe" because I have not done a head to head comparison, I'm only speculating based on the designs.

If you can fit an Adire Dharman in your location then we have an apple to apple comparison with the SVS.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Hsu Research VTF-2?

It's been IMPROVED recently and seems to kick some major as*.

It's supposed to be very musical and great for HT--all for $500.

"Sensible Sound" has reviewed this sub with the Ascend Acoustics in their upcoming issue. They call it the best bang for buck system they've ever heard. They say it's up there with multi-kilo buck systems.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
...at this point would be the 25-31 but I'd really like to get down to at least 20.
The '25' does not refer to the extension of the sub... rather the tuning frequency. Even with the small SVS you should get a good amount of usable output at 20Hz (depending on room size).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The VTF-2,VTF-3 and 25-31PCi have all been reviewed by Howard Ferstler. The reviews have already been published for the two VTFs but the 25-31 numbers aren't published yet so we cannot say much about them. The vtf-3 is much more comparable performance wise than the vtf-2(to the 25-31PCi).

TV

KirkA

Agent
So what difference would I notice between a 25-31 tuned to 22Hz and a 20-39? I'm considering ignoring WAF and going for the 20-39 if it's a noticeably better. I still don't want peoples first reaction to be "What in the world is that thing?" when they walk in the living room.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
kirk:

don't forget that you can lay the svs on it's side with little to no negative consequences. they may have been produced to stand upright but that doesn't mean you have to stand them upright.

kevin t

KirkA

Agent
Thanks Kevin, I did think about laying it on it's side. My couch sits against a wall and there's really no room behind it without moving it out at least a foot. The 25-31 would be fairly inconspicuous in the corner next to the couch, the 20-39 would stick up a little higher than the couch and would stand out more.

Matt Lopp

Agent
For what it's worth, I just ordered the 20-39PCi. It seems to be farily popular on this board. I may post some impressions when it arrives.
I still don't want peoples first reaction to be "What in the world is that thing?" when they walk in the living room.
To the contrary of your statement, I may actually hope to get that reaction. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I still don't want peoples first reaction to be "What in the world is that thing?" when they walk in the living room.
Answer: "That's my subwoofer, sit down and enjoy." Then put on your favorite demo and watch their disapproving stares turn to a sh*&-eating grin.

1st reacton to my 25-31 PCi - "Uhhhm, isn't that a little big?"
Reaction after it's fired up - "WOW!!! That's intense!!"

Reminds me of when my Mom came over and remarked "Isn't that a little loud?"

My answer - "Yes"

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"So what difference would I notice between a 25-31 tuned to 22Hz and a 20-39?"

The 25-31 would be shorter and you'd have $50 more in your wallet. Seriously, the stock 25-31 and 20-39 sound very similar. With the retuned 25-31 I'd think I'd have to do side-by-side comparisons to tell any difference ... and even then I might need an SPL meter. Its definitely not a case where you'll feel like you missed out by going with the smaller, cheaper model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks