What's new

Adire Rava review (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Excellent link Jack,

I think it was summed up quite well.
Another short review that lets you know just how good a sub & deal the sealed Rava is.

Nice pic of the side and back.

Those interested in the Rava should read this infomative praising diddy of information.

Did I miss the measurments?
==========================>
No you didn't.... In room measuments where not taken but MFR was listed.

MFR: 27hz-160hz -3db
THD:

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
The reviewer seemed to think the Rava worked best as a sub/sat combo with the x-over around 50 or 60, rather than up around 100. Does this mean for most home theater receivers with a x-over at 80 it's best NOT to use it for LFE?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've found the Shiva to work well out to 80Hz, and is linear well past (its breakup modes are around 450Hz or so).

As many know, this isn't going to win an SPL drag race or burp contest. If you want a sealed 12, look hard though.

Arron H

Second Unit
I have the Rava's crossover bypassed and instead use my Yamaha RX-V1200's 90Hz crossover. All of my speakers are set to small (B&W603s, 601s, & LCR6). The Rava does not sound boomy using the 90Hz crossover. It blends very nicely with my mains. Make sure to calibrate using the Radio Shack spl meter.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
One significant point that I disliked about this review:

"I made the connection with my LFE out"

"Setting the crossover at about 50 Hz made a huge improvement in both minimizing overlap with my choice main speakers and maximizing its ability to set a solid foundation for music."

These quotes seem to indicate that the reviewer is running the speakers full-range and also sending the bass to the subwoofer. Several receivers have the option of doing this by adjusting the bass management to "Mains + Sub" or something similar. My Onkyo does this by default for speakers set to large. But what it really means is that he is double-dipping in the upper-bass regions where both the Rava and the speakers are producing useable output. And later he blames the Rava for the excess mid-bass:

"It would be best to pair this sub with a large pair of bookshelf speakers or a floor-standing pair, so that you can set the crossover to a frequency around 50 Hz, lessening the boomy effects that occur when you use a frequency up near 100 Hz."

If I have misinterpreted something let me know. I suppose he could have been running his mains small. But then there are still issues:

If he was running a low crossover point in his receiver (40-60Hz) then moving the Rava's filter down to 50Hz shouldn't have had much effect. If he was running a high crossover point in his receiver (80-100Hz) then it would seem that he prefers a dip in the frequency response between 50Hz and 80Hz. And most of us would agree that's not something to strive for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks