Adire Rava, opinions on HT performance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_M, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Well after reading reviews praising the Rava for being a great music sub, I was wondering how it stands for HT.

Any opinions on it. Since it is online sales only I would like to hear some opinions before I jump on it.

Thanks again

2. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Copy of Mr. Knapps opinion as stated on Home Theater Talk

Mike Knapp

Bon Vivant

posted 11-21-2001 06:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you arent wanting to make your pant legs flap when the T-Rex steps, the Rava will do nicely for you. It will perform wonderfully for your music regardless the size of your room. The larger the room and the louder you want to listen to movies, the less effective the Rava will be.

It is a sealed enclosure which makes it very tight and fast for your music use. For HT use it is a good performer but if you want to shake the room apart I would look at the Rava's big brother the Dharman.

Still, it is a good solid unit and at moderate volumes will be more than adequate for home theater use. I wouldnt hesitate to use one for an average 5.1 system.

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------

I don,t remember who posted this review:

Adire Audio Rava Subwoofer Review

The bass from this sub is clean enough that I could not use kick drum CD or low bass CD's to set levels, the lack of distortion at 'reference' levels is enough to fool you into turning the thing up too loud! The Rava sounds VERY good. It is a musical 12" sub and I must admit it is musical to an extent that surprised me. See, I am not a fan of big heavy cones - but Adire has combined sufficient power and proper cabinet loading to make this thing

perform amazingly well.

..And a word on output - it can _play_loud_. The sub also goes as low as one would need it to, but it is not what I would pick for a "sound effects sub" where louder is better. My listening room is 16' x 27' with vaulted ceilings and on the . I have owned louder subs, but their potential output was pretty pointless for personal listening, as levels in excess of what the Rava can create are typically unwelcome

for any length of time exceeding a demo session. For movies, I could see a need for possibly a touch more output for sub bass explosions, but that is only when I am watching movies alone, because anytime I have had guests over or my wife in the room, they can't tolerate levels that would tax the Rava. If you are

looking for LOUD, think Adire Taalam, or buy some SVS subs -sealed subs are probably not for you… I really enjoy recordings with good low bass in them with this setup, and I am less pleased with sub par recordings in that area, and one can truly differentiate through this setup. There are definitely louder subs out there (though I can't think of any sealed 12"ers that are louder and cleaner) but if you value definition, extension and control equally, I would highly recommend the Rava. For less than $430 USD shipped to my front door, I have NEVER seen a deal available

to the public that could rival the performance of this sub. I would buy it again if I had to make the decision over again.

rideflytx

3. Steve WC

Eric,

From the LACK of replies a post about the Rava and HT bring, I guess you can figure it's probably more suited for a music system.

Also if you use the search function, you can find out alot about this sub.

Alot of people seem to boil their choice down to the RAVA or HSU-VTF2 and than at least on this forum BUY THE SVS!!!!

Steve

4. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps you are right about the Rava.

In any case I haven't looked into the HSU-VT2 yet. I will do that too.

I am also curious about the Velodynes.

5. Steve WC

Another not so earth shaking review of th Rava for HT!

So, Jack - how do you like the Ravas? I was considering them before

Christmas, but we had some family problems and a new SW is on the

back burner for me. Still, I'd love to hear what you think of the

unit from a musical and HT POV.

Jack Harris

Enthusiast

I really like it. It blends very well with my Paradigm monitor

series speakers.

As a sealed unit it's probably better in musical applications then

it is for shaking the house when the star destroyer blows by. At

least that's what I have read - but I don't miss it. For me musical

considerations outweigh anything else anyway.

I just wish that they had the black cabinet out when I bought mine.

JH

6. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I think the question comes down to whether you want accurate bass, or peaky, distorted bass. A Hsu VTF-2 with the plug pulled will buzz your room with a big octave-wide bass peak centered around 40-50 Hz. Lots of people think this is what bass "sounds" like, but it ain't accurate.
    My Rava is centered on my long wall, and gives me +/- 2 dB from 25 to 80 Hz, and is only about -4 dB at 20 Hz in-room. It is tight enough to seem to disappear when playing music, until you turn it off and lose the hall ambience that was making the music sound real. When I play DVDs of blow-'em-up movies, the explosions shake the room (and house, too) and then stop when they're over, instead of rumbling along way too long. The Rava will play LOUD, much louder than my wife will tolerate, and hasn't run out of steam yet on those occasions I have been unsupervised [​IMG]
    If you like to hear the recording accurately reproduced, you will consider the Rava to be a stone bargain. If you want peaky Hip-Hop mid-bass, there are lots of other options.
    Peter

7. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    Peter,

Ditto!

Most people wouldnt know good bass if it bit them in the ass. There are several manufacturers that pride themselves in accuracy. Adire and SVS are two of them. The Rava is sealed. it is tight, it is accurate as all get out.

If you want bloated, humming bass from your HT, the Rava is not your man.

Mike

8. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

There's plenty of response data on the VTF-2 with and without the port plug published...it's flat both ways down to it's extension limits.

TV

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Steve, I've not heard a Rava as such, although I'm running a sealed Shiva (Rava's driver) right now in my music system with an AVA250 (basically the Rava's amp, not the same eq, though). To be honest, the box I have it in was not built for it and is much too small (just over 1 ft^3,I'm using its driver for something else and needed bass), the resulting much-too-high Qtc (~.8) causing some wooliness in the sound, but there's lots of output. When I've had it in a more ideal size box (not so coincidently about the size of the Rava), it's a beautiful sub, very deep and extended with no overhang to speak of. The depth a sealed sub reaches usually relies on room gain, but Peter's results are not uncommon.

11. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

I have a Rava on order from Dan Wiggins. I will give you all my impression when I get to play with it. From what I've heard and read, I will be happy when I have this set up in my room. It will be my first sub. So, I think I am going to be pretty happy.

12. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Whatever happened to the new TN data for the RAVA?

13. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Maybe he was referring to the data for the Dharman than TN was supposed to run on the second unit Dan sent.

David

14. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

15. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Decisions , decisions.

I think I know what you mean by accurate bass in comparison to just muddy bass that lasts way after the explosion or whatever is still going.

I just wish stores had these things to listen to. I also can't have earth shattering bass in my house but even if I could I don't like the bass to drown everything else out. Though I am listening to I'd say 60 music 40 movies, I still would like good performance for both. In music, I like the bass to be heard but not like som epeople enjoy it, really boomy and muddled almost. I prefer a nice tight and punchy bass in my music.

I will have to look at the return policies on the Rava cause it seems to be a great deal for the money