Adire POP! and GRAND POP! Anyone Built them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm considering the Adire designed Pop! and Grand Pop! for an upcoming DIY project. I'll be building some combination of Pop!s and Grand Pop!s in a 7.1 configuration for 99% HT use. The low end will be covered by my EBS Shiva.
    My question is has anyone built the Pop!s or Grand Pop!s? If so, how did they perform? I'm currently using JBL N28 mains, an N Center, and 4 N24 surrounds. How would the Pop!s and Grand Pop!s compare?
    I would probably use the Grand Pop!s and Pop!s for the surrounds. I'm undecided which to use for the center. Since the Grand Pop! isn't vertically perpendicular, would it hurt imaging to put it on it's side on top of my RPTV? Also, could I move the port to the rear and make the driver layout vertically perpendicular on a Grand Pop! to make it more like a traditional center speaker?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

perpendicular symmetrical

3. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

There are better designs around. First of all, the component values spec'd in the crossover aren't readily available in the US (you need to order them from Solen in Canada, and pay the import duties). You need to combine multiple caps, coils, etc. to get the correct values, which drives the cost up.

Second, the tweeter spec'd is no longer available. The recommended replacement requires a crossover change, which is not published on Adire's site.

I built the Pop! as spec'd and didn't like it at all. Is there a particular reason you want to build this particular speaker? Let us know what you're looking for and maybe we can help you find something else.

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Ahh... it was late when I typed that *L*

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I like these because of the style of the Grand Pop!s for mains and the Pop!s as surrounds, and alot for the cost. Any other suggestions would be great. I'm not starting any time soon (probably around march).

Thanks

6. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I've built both the Pop and the Grandpop. I like them a lot, but don't have anything to compare them to. I find them to be very clear, but not a lot of bass.
    If you do end up putting this speaker together, I'd suggest waiting for MCM to put the 4" driver on sale. Regular price is something like $14, while on sale it's $10 or so. Shipping from Solen isn't too bad. UPS shipping for all the components for the Grandpop from Canada to San Diego was under $10. You might try calling Meniscus to see if they have the tweeter available.
    As for the tweeter compatibility, Dan told me the Fs or something was slightly different, but the same crossover can be used.
    If I had to do it again, I'd probably build the Pop for my surrounds. It was good experience putting it together. As for the mains and center, I'd probably go with SCH because of high bang for the buck, pre-assembled crossover, and optional front baffle.
    Link to somebody's site.
    http://home.pacbell.net/redtroll/main.html

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer