What's new

Adire LspCAD Airspeed in port question? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I finally downloaded and have started playing with the Adire version of LspCAD to model Sunosub II (version 2.0).
I have a question on the Airspeed in port:
Where should I be focused on when I look at the graph? What is the "danger zone" for the airspeed and at what frequency should I be canvassing when I look at this plot to determine if my design is "okay".
Just to get some more feedback:
I'm thinking about doing the following subwoofer design with the Tempest:
10 ft^3 (285 liters)
Tuned to 16.5Hz (Single 6" wide port, 22.75" long)
LspCAD reports the F3 to be around 19Hz.
(I'm thinking about adding 72 ounces of polyfil to give it a little more "volume", good idea or not?)
If I could make heads or tales out of the airspeed plot, that would help me evaluate the design.
Thumbs up or down for this design?
TIA!
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Max airspeed will be just below Fb. Normally, as long as it doesn't exceed 5% mach (17.22m/s), you're fine, but if you tune it below the lowest expected signal, then the 5% can apply to whatever that point is. IOW, let's say Fb = 12Hz/35m/s, but the lowest expected signal is 18Hz/15m/s, I would only be concerned with what it is at ~18Hz.
WRT fill, it lowers box Q. If it helps with in-room or transient response, fine, but otherwise it reduces max SPL. 100% stuffed = ~a sealed response.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I believe 35m/s is the point at which it is impossible to get more output from the port no matter how much you increase the power input. Compression begins much before 35m/s though. Greg suggested 17.22 m/s which sounds like a good limit to shoot for. Klipsch also did testing on when distortion began to be audible. They found that 10 m/s was the point where audible distortion set in. This is what I always shoot for when doing a ported system. It's not always that easy to do. That's why I'm such a big PR fan now. They take away all the concern of vent velocity, distorion, and compression.
John

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
I wonder what parameters they used to define audible, as R. Small's tests with individuals set the limit at 5% mach. I know I can't tell any difference between them below this limit.
I agree about PRs. Tom D.'s sharing his design insights a few years ago have really spurred consumer/DIY sub driver/PR design to get the bottom octave with low distortion/high SPL.
GM
------------------

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, guys!
Okay, so with the current design, and 400W/4ohms (200W/8ohms in LspCAD), my airspeed is 20m/s at 16.5Hz, so that looks live-able. Dropping the power reduces the airspeed even more.
Should I worry about my cone excursion hitting 40mm at 24Hz at the max 400W/4ohm (it's 28mm at 24Hz at 200W/4ohms)?
And does 50% stuffed for a 10 ft^3 enclosure mean 5 pounds of polyfil?
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>Should I worry about my cone excursion hitting 40mm at 24Hz at the max 400W/4ohm (it's 28mm at 24Hz at 200W/4ohms)?
====
That depends on what Xmax/Xsus is, and whether or not the distortion is audibly obnoxious to you.
====
>And does 50% stuffed for a 10 ft^3 enclosure mean 5 pounds of polyfil?
====
Yep.
GM
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread