What's new

Adire Hurricane Speaker Kit (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I personally haven't built anything with them but a friend of mine has sunk 1500+ into selenium drivers. he got two PE # 264-438 two 264-434 and two of my favorite 264-230. I love how those 440 Ti compression drivers look. He had yet to construct the cabs and cross overs. I know he is using BFDs on the 18" subs, and the cabs are going to be about 6 feet high.

I can't wait for him to start it. he has had the drivers since Xmas. :angry:

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I personally haven't built anything with them but a friend of mine has sunk 1500+ into selenium drivers. he got two PE # 264-438 two 264-434 and two of my favorite 264-230. I love how those 440 Ti compression drivers look. He had yet to construct the cabs and cross overs. I know he is using BFDs on the 18" subs, and the cabs are going to be about 6 feet high.

I can't wait for him to start it. he has had the drivers since Xmas. :angry:

DanWiggins

Second Unit
James,

Come on down and take a listen, I think you'll like them, knowing your tastes.

HOWEVER, given that you have a mondo subwoofer already, how about some vented HE12.1 towers? Crossed over around 80 Hz, they will give you tremendous output and punch, and they are voiced to sound similar to the KIT281s you liked. Why buy more bottom end than you need? For the price of a single Hurricane, you can build a pair of HE12.1 kits.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

DanWiggins

Second Unit
James,

Come on down and take a listen, I think you'll like them, knowing your tastes.

HOWEVER, given that you have a mondo subwoofer already, how about some vented HE12.1 towers? Crossed over around 80 Hz, they will give you tremendous output and punch, and they are voiced to sound similar to the KIT281s you liked. Why buy more bottom end than you need? For the price of a single Hurricane, you can build a pair of HE12.1 kits.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Thanks Dan, I have several questions:

From 80Hz on up , can the HE12 speaker hit around 120dB pretty cleanly? Would you recommend the sealed or vented version and why?
Is your compression driver in this speaker a modified PSD-2002?
How would you decribe the upper end of this speaker when its driven hard?

Basically my Klipsch speakers are killing my ears...they sound good up to about 100-105dB but after that they get too harsh. I have been looking for replacements for some time now.

I have gone thru great lenghts to try and make the Klispch work including several difference source components , room treatments , better amplification and most recently I am replacing my Yamaha RX-V3300 with an Aragon Soundstage Pre-Pro...even though I have not installed it , I doubt its going to do the trick.

I'd power the HE12 mains with a Parasound HCA-1500A that I recently purchased , output is rated at 205@8ohms and 315@4 ohms.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Thanks Dan, I have several questions:

From 80Hz on up , can the HE12 speaker hit around 120dB pretty cleanly? Would you recommend the sealed or vented version and why?
Is your compression driver in this speaker a modified PSD-2002?
How would you decribe the upper end of this speaker when its driven hard?

Basically my Klipsch speakers are killing my ears...they sound good up to about 100-105dB but after that they get too harsh. I have been looking for replacements for some time now.

I have gone thru great lenghts to try and make the Klispch work including several difference source components , room treatments , better amplification and most recently I am replacing my Yamaha RX-V3300 with an Aragon Soundstage Pre-Pro...even though I have not installed it , I doubt its going to do the trick.

I'd power the HE12 mains with a Parasound HCA-1500A that I recently purchased , output is rated at 205@8ohms and 315@4 ohms.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I would assume they are almost as good as the Hurricane in that regard, where midrange distortion is the big problem. If the Beta 12 can take 100 watts, that's close to 115db at one meter which is pretty big. I don't know if you should expect 120db from a speaker of this type.

I don't think my Kit281s are good for more than 100db or so in my system. James, how loud did those go (cleanly) for you?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I would assume they are almost as good as the Hurricane in that regard, where midrange distortion is the big problem. If the Beta 12 can take 100 watts, that's close to 115db at one meter which is pretty big. I don't know if you should expect 120db from a speaker of this type.

I don't think my Kit281s are good for more than 100db or so in my system. James, how loud did those go (cleanly) for you?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
My kit 281s were good for near 120dB...its hard to explain but when you cranked them you felt you got to the point where you were there.
On the other hand my Klipsch RF-3IIs start sounding bad before I get 'there' so as a result I have not listened to some really high SPLs in quite awhile because I wont listen to garbage.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
My kit 281s were good for near 120dB...its hard to explain but when you cranked them you felt you got to the point where you were there.
On the other hand my Klipsch RF-3IIs start sounding bad before I get 'there' so as a result I have not listened to some really high SPLs in quite awhile because I wont listen to garbage.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Crap! If you switched off the subwoofer at that point what were the continuous and peak SPLs from the Kit281s alone?

I have gotten the awesome "there" feeling with rock music but I'm pretty sure that was only around 100db.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Crap! If you switched off the subwoofer at that point what were the continuous and peak SPLs from the Kit281s alone?

I have gotten the awesome "there" feeling with rock music but I'm pretty sure that was only around 100db.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I don't really remember Michael, all I know is they sounded pretty good when cranked up with my QSC USA 900 amp.

Throw a few Tempests and another 1000 watts and I had some seriously loud and clean SPLs.

All I know is I now have better electronics and subwoofer and am less happy now with my high SPL sessions than I was back then.

So in theory the HE12s will go louder than the Kit281s? I guess the only question I need answered is what do these HE12s sound like when pushed hard?

My Klispch RF-3IIs sound sweet up until 95dB or so but after that they get harsh in the top end..the mids and lows sound ok still. Interestingly though, turning down the treble helps very little to tame this harshness.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
James, I would bet that the distortion in the Klipsches was really distortion coming from the woofers. But anyway that's not important. If you can limit the amount of bass going to them, the HE12s should play louder. Given the measured 93db sensitivity of the HE10.1, they are probably about 94db/w efficient... which is 7db more than Kit281s, and the woofer probably has about the same thermal power handling as an AV8, so I'd guess at around 3-5db more clean output. I personally have no idea what they sound like when pushed hard. You could ask Saurav, but he never used more than 25 watts with his. I agree that the Kit281s have an acceptable kind of distortion as you get near their limits, they don't sound harsh and painful like some other speakers. This is probably because of the unusually good dynamic capability of the woofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks