What's new

Adire Dharman test results from Tom Nousaine... (1 Viewer)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
The bottom line is this. If you make a product that requires/benefits from objective testing data from a respected outside source that improves your sales or reputation, and is wanted/demanded by your potential consumers, you provide that data in the most timely manner possible. Afterall, this is business we are talking about here, isn't it? In business if you have done something that ruffles a few feathers, then you must be doing something right. Through this whole, sometimes nasty, discussion we have learned that the 'list' of TN's data has a serious lag. A lag that shows us we aren't comparing apples to apples. So, while helpful, not necessarily a true comparison of the products offered. What I see is that SVS may have painted themselves into a corner because you can bet your butt that the next Adire sub that comes out will go the same route in attaining the data from TN. Will others follow? If others follow, and even if others don't the new 'industry standard' as far as lag for data is in the process of being set. Competitors will have to follow or be left behind. There is no way company 'A' can produce a product and wait for months and months for vital data, while company 'B','C', and 'D' produces it almost immediately. The consumer will demand it, if it is possible to provide the data sooner. The manufacturer cannot afford to wait the times that have been alluded to here. While I'm not chosing sides here, I do think it is good business to get the information vital to your product in the hands of consumers as quickly possible. As a consumer I think it will help make better informed choices. For a manufacturer it is also a huge benefit, not only in possible sales, but if a product is improved then it can be re-tested and the results be known publically, instead of just a result from an older model not likely to be tested for free again. And, if a model is improved to a level with a noticable/audible difference, then a deliniation should be forthcoming from the manufacturer. It is a common practice, and provides better profit potential.
:)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The full(unedited) review on the SVS website has the FR information. Is TN going to do a review of the Dharman? Just curious. If he is I look forward to hearing what he had to say, if he isn't, then where would one obtain FR info on the Dharman(besides the manufacturer).
Bhagi,
If you read that review on the SVS site, you'll see that TN doesn't dish out a "traditional" review replete with all kinds of flowerly descriptors, he feels that the measurements he provides will tell you how a sub will perform pretty accurately. So, in that sense, the numbers already listed on the Dharman are the "meat" of a TN review. As far as FR on the Dharman, as stated a few times, there will probably be another sweep run on another unit by TN. However, Dan W. has updated the Dharman page with measurements he did himself. Like the SPL numbers, these seem to jive pretty well with what one can expect from a Shiva driver in that alignment, and with the posted "specs", so there's no surprizes there, either. Looks like it's -3db at 21-22Hz, but I can't see the gradations. Having been beaten up in every possible configuration in the field by DIY-ers for years, Shiva's performance envelope is well known. So, while these results, especially at the lowest frequencies, seem amazing at the price, it's "just another Shiva project" to the DIY community. :)
Fwiw, I have no problem at all accepting any FR data posted by TV or Dan Wiggins as actual in-room measurements as just that. We as consumers are fortunate that they're in the businesses they're in.
Btw, I much prefer powered tweeters myself. :)

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Dan, sorry, I was joking.

Fwiw, I have no problem at all accepting any FR data posted by TV or Dan Wiggins as actual in-room measurements as just that. We as consumers are fortunate that they're in the businesses they're in.
I don't have a problem with FR data posted by them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks