Adire Dharman comparisons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Noud, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Brian Noud

Brian Noud Auditioning

I need your opinions on this subwoofer.My room is 15 by 11 and I am wondering if this sub has good slam and if it would be decent for music.Also,which sub would compare with it in the $1000.00 price range.I am not interested in SVS,so any other comparisons would be appreciated.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brian,

The Dharman is equal to a Velodyne HGS15 from an output standpoint. IIRC, it costs well over $1000. I haven't heard the Dharman yet so I can't give you any additional info.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Best comparison I could think of would be a Hsu VTF3 in max output mode. Both have 12" drivers (although this means almost nothing; but I'd say the odds are more in favor of the drivers both use being more similar than disimilar), both are tuned to 22hz, both use a pair of 3" flared ports, both use 250W amps; Dharman has an extra 25L or so of internal volume. Dharman is $250 cheaper.
    I've heard a Dayton DVC12" (PE clone of the driver Adire uses in the Dharman called the Shiva) in a 120L enclosure tuned to 20hz with a 4" flared port in a 10*12 room with a 160W amp. Based on that I'll say a Dharman should more than please in a 11*15 room.
    The VMPS Larger is supposed to be good, but with an amp it will go over $1000. Used Velo HGS15 should compete with the Dharman as well. The Mirage BPS400 or Paradigm PW2200 should come close to it.
    If you can build a box though you can build one hell of a sub in the under $1000 range with the parts available online. Infact the driver ports and amp in the Dharman are all available seperately, you could build a clone of it for less than $400. And if enclosure size isn't an issue you could build a sub it just isn't feasible for a commercial manufacturer to build (it will be big, but I'm talking SVS Ultra performance for not much more than $400).
    Edit: For that matter, since Brian got in before me with his short response [​IMG] he could custom build you a very nice sub when given a $1000 to work with:
    http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/