Adire Brahma vs. HSU-VTF3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Burgoyne, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I am trying to help a friend pick out a good, affordable box sub without getting into too much trouble with his wife. The Adire Brahma is $599 and the VTF3 is $849. I bet they are both great subs, but for a $250 price difference, how much of a performance difference will there be?
    PS: I know SVS is coming out with a line of box subs, but he can't wait...or his wife may buy custom wood blinds with the money[​IMG]

2. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

I have never heard the Adire subwoofer, but I heard the Hsu VTF-3 this morning in a demonstration at Dr. Hsu's offices. This subwoofer is quite a beast. It goes quite deep, with more deep bass than the very potent VTF-2 that I wound up buying. The only regret with the VTF-3 is the size. It's not tiny, but for this week only, it costs $764.10. Don't worry. I don't work for the company. As for the sub, wasn't sure what to make out of it at first. The bass was so damn clean that I wasn't sure it was real bass. I guess I'm too used to subs with LOTS of distortion. With the Hsu subs, I thought I was hearing distortion with 20 Hz signals, but it was actually the sound of rattling objects in the room. And most importantly, these suckers have a very flat frequency response. With a clean and powerful sub like the VTF-2, I can find out which songs have real deep bass since the Sony SA-WM40 12" I had has a tendency to make a lot of the bass notes sound similar. Not a bad sub, but can't compete with the Hsu for sheer sound quality. Unless you play serious bass films, you're not likely to tell the difference between VTF-2 and VTF-3. They both sound great.

Good luck and happy listening

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Brian, go buy the VTF-3 and let me know it sounds with your Elite receivers, hehe.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I assume you ment Adire Dharman. The Brahma is a driver (one hell of a driver at that, put in a properly enclosure, a Brahma could kick the crap out of a Dharman or VTF3).

Both the VTF3 and Dharman use 12" drivers (can't say for sure but I imagine they will have very similar capabilities), have 250W amps, and use a pair of 3" flared ports to tune their enclosures to 22hz. The Dharman is a little larger (~85L vs ~110L). The VTF3 has a finish similar to truck bed liner. The Dharman is available in two wood finishes.

Personally I'd take the Dharman given the price difference. I know what a Tempest and Dayton DVC12" can do. So I have a pretty good idea what a Shiva (driver in the Dharman can do). You won't be disappointed with either. The Dharman will just save you a few bucks.

5. Brian Burgoyne

Yup Dustin, I did mean the Dharman. I guess all of those h's, a's, r's and m's got me mixed up!:b
    I had a feeling I could get a helpful response from you.[​IMG]
    Thanks!

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Brian, did you order the VTF-3 yet? [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If your friend’s wife is similar to mine, the choice would be easy: the Dharman, as she can’t abide the ugly black box.

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brae,
    I can tell you how an SVS 16-46PC+ sounds with my 45TX during the pod race, the Haunting, ATOC, LOTR....etc...etc...[​IMG]
    Lew,
    Before I ever get married again, I'm gonna have somebody (or I may try it myself with Dustin's consultation) build me a subwoofer the size of a casket. Who ever I marry, if I ever do, will have to accept that as part of the deal. Then I will enjoy it until I die and they can bury me in it![​IMG]

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Brian. I went back and re-read your original post. Sorry, I totally overlooked the fact that you were helping a friend, as opposed to looking for yourself.

11. Brian Burgoyne

So Brae/WanMan, et.al.

When are YOU going to get your SVS or HSU?

Santa Claus is coming to town. Should I ask your wife if you've been naughty or nice?:b

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Here's a little helpful hint if you have a dedicated room. Build a riser and use it for the subwoofer enclosure! I'd think it would be the next best thing to an IB.

14. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

is the brahma $599 with a box? Cause if it isnt then that is a huge rip off cause its $450 i think directly from adire audio. The brahma is an awesome subwoofer. A pretty flat curve and loads of xmax.

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The Dharman is $599, which is a completed sub. Brian was simply confusing the names.

16. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

17. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Go Dual VTF-2s!