Adire AVA250 vs PE250

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robin Smith, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

So the PE 250W Plate amp is on for $125. That's $25 cheaper than the Adire 150W and WAY below the 250W.
    Is this a good buy for the single Shiva sonosub I am planning on making? I understand there is some filter issue of some kind that needs to be resolved on this amp to get the most out of it. This prob doesn't exist on the AVA250, is this right? How easy is it to overcome by an ampilly-challenged moron like myself. i.e. can I do the necessary mod.
    Looking at the pics, they look like the same amp. Are they just relabled versions of the same amp? I assume both Adire and PE are not manufacturing this, just buying it from someone else, is it the same manufacturer?
    Also, partly related I have an OLD Sony 100W pre-ProLogic receiver (10 years old). Would this be able to handle subwoofer duty? Even if it were a temporary measure. Should I not even bother trying and definitely get a subwoofer plate amp.
    Teach me oh great ones. Thanks in advance.
    Rob

2. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I use a 12 year old Sony 100w/channel surround sound processor. I have both channels hooked to a tempest sonotube. I have it turned up to 5 out of 10 and it has more bass then I could ever need.

3. Robin Smith

Cool. It would be good if I didn't have to buy a sub right away, on top of all the other stuff.
    I don't really know what to expect from my sub (when I start it) anyway since I have only ever heard the $500 - $1,000 cube/rectangle-style retail subs. I think I would be happy if it were "as good" as opposed to "blows them away".
    I am trying to keep my costs lower partly due to the extra expense of having this stuff sent to Canada and partly due to the SO.
    Can anyone give an idea of what the performance difference would be between using a 100W Receiver vs a dedicated sub amp. The sub will be a ported Shiva in 3-3.5 ft long sonotube.
    Thanks

4. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

hey Robin, how much did you pay for your shiva in Can. dollars. I was just wondering cause I am ordering the shiva with the passive radiator.

5. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I think the main difference between the plate amp and the reciever is the plate amp has more features than the reciever. with the plate amp you have phase control a low pass filter and I think an auto on feature(the amp turns on when it senses a signal) So the plate amp makes sub intergration a little easier but I doubt it would offer any power advantages. And if your going to use the lowpass crossover in your ht reciever it is just another reason to hold off on the plate amp

6. Brian_E

Brian_E Auditioning

Help! I can't decide between the PE #300-793 and #300-794.
    Will the remote volume/xover be that useful? Or should I get the more powerful #300-794. (albiet only listed as 22 more watts at 4ohm).
    Either way I'm going to modify the "boost" circuit for a "SURF-like" rumble filter.
    I've been procrastinating my sub project for far too long. I think this is the jump start I needed. Now to schedule a visit to Adire Audio... Oh and sorry Dan W. but this deal is just good to pass up.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I feel bad about getting the 300-793 from PE because I love the Adire folks! It was a totally (okay, so I did some research) spontaneous web-purchase for me. I wasn't really even in the market for a sub amp. But there I was just cruising the web and the PE amps were on speical. I could live with the Fc=14Hz, and I liked the 40-170Hz variable crossover. Plus, I did not want to mess with modifying the other amp to get rid of the bass boost, etc. I was just tired of hearing my current amp's fan kick on when it was running a little hot on the tough LFE passeages.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Although an Adire fan, and AVA250 owner myself, I can't help but recommend the 300-793 for the next 24 hours. No boost, and a remote control module. Very nice. As far as power differnces, I wouldn't doubt that it's the same amp as the 300-794, they just list a different rating for it. The 300-800 looks like an even better deal. 150w into 4 ohms, crossover bypass, easily defeated boost.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

? They're still listed, and they had 6:00 PM on 8/10 as the end posted all day.

11. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know what the total cost would be to get the 300-793 ($138) into canada, in canadian dollars? Exchange, shipping , taxes etc. I was guessing 138 x 1.8 = 248 canadian is this close?

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Jack, I posted too soon. It appears that this will be a "While supplies last" type of sale. Sorry if I got anyone to think otherwise (most of their daily specials are just that, daily specials).
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

13. Robin Smith

I haven't bought my Shiva yet. I have been lurking on all the sonosub links absorbing all the info I can (and I am still a little lost using WinISD to calculate the length of 20" sonotube that is ideal!)
    Anyway, I am in the proces of buying a house, after which its sonosub time. There is no point in me making it while in my townhouse here as it will only make me mad that I can't use it!
    I was going to pick up the PE amp in preperation since it was such a sweet deal but I think I'll wait and see how things sound with my old Sony receiver.

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Warm-up.
    [Edited last by Jack "Can't get it right the first time" Gilvey on August 10, 2001 at 10:14 AM]
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on August 10, 2001 at 10:16 AM]

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer