Adire AV3 sub/sat system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Richardson, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I just completed these last night. The sats are 4"w x 5"h x 4"d and use the $18 Adire AV3 full range driver. The sub is just under 1cu ft and used an 8" Dayton driver that also costs $18 and is powered by their least expensive plate amplifier ~$95. All are finished in birdseye maple veneer with 3 coats of poly over the top.
    How do they sound? Not at all like $18 drivers! The sats have quite a large soundstage and are very nice. The sub is very impressive and belts out the bass. There is a small hole in the frequency between about 200Hz down to 160Hz where the sub starts to take over but it's a small price to pay for the small size and inexpensive drivers used.
    If anybody wants to build their own sub/sat system this is a very good way to go. For 2 sats and a powered sub the hardware will only cost around $160! It would also be a very good learning project for somebody since there are no crossovers involved in the speakers either.
    Kyle Richardson
    Acoustic Visions

2. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Looks Good!

I've been thinking about making a set something like this for my computer. And at that price why not..

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

That system does look good Kyle. I'm building a new computer and it may come in handy soon.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

That sounds cool, I really like full-range drivers. Not having a crossover has certain qualities I like. That bird's-eye is stunning, nice work!

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Do they sound better than Bose?[​IMG]
    They probably kick the pi$$ out of Bose. Nice work. Is the back of the sub birdseye?, what is the rest made of?

6. Kyle Richardson

Yes, they do kick the pi$$ out of Bose for much less $$. All of the veneer is birdseye over 3/4" MDF for the sub and 1/2" MDF on the speakers.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

7. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Did you stain the front and sides of the sub a dark color? In the photos it looks real dark, while the back looks light like the satellites.

8. Kyle Richardson

No, everything was done with the same oil, poly, and veneer. I think it's just the lighting playing tricks with the pictures.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

9. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

That is a really strange lighting effect. I notice this because I am heavy into photography. Notice the photo with the satellite sitting on top of the sub: the sat is light colored, but the front and top of the sub is much darker. It's like the photo was digitally manipulated in Photoshop or something, strange.

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

That's because the sat is sitting on top of a Kit281, not the little sub. [​IMG]

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

haha, way to point that out Michael [​IMG]

12. Ben Ven

Ben Ven Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,

How does the top end sound? I know the top end will be compromised, I am just wondering to what degree. (Hey, I can't hear past 15 kHz anyway-old age you know!!) I have toyed around with the idea of using a single full range driver for my mains and center channel for years. I currently have full range drivers, from Audax, in my rears and they sound very good in the rear. A single driver eliminates a few anomolies that multiple driver configurations can cause, such as time alignment issues, phase issues, the lack thereof, due to the absence of a crossover and lobing concerns.

Hope to hear back on this issue.

Thanks!

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Kyle, are the 4"x5"4" dimensions the outer dimensions or the inner dimensions for the boxes?

I'm toying with the idea of building the SBB4 alignment (3.5 liter enclosure ported with a 1" wide port 2.5" long) with the AV3's because I want better PC speakers without the need of a sub.

14. Kyle Richardson

Ben, the AV3 will extend to 16Khz so I think they will be fine [​IMG]
    Patrick, those are outside dimensions.
    Kyle Richardson
    Acoustic Visions

15. Blake Middleton

Kyle,

Adire recommends I think 4"x6"x5". How did you come up with your dimensions? Would there be much of a difference?

16. Kyle Richardson

The T/S parameters listed on Adire's site are of the original AV3. The current AV3 has the following parameters:

Qts .51

Vas .7 l.

Fs 130 Hz.

Re 3.4 Ohm

Xmax 2 mm

Qms 3.30

Qes .60

Sd 30 cm^2

Mine are just under .5 liter which will drop the low end a little sooner but it was a small sacrifice to obtain the smaller box.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

17. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Kyle, the T/S parameters you gave for the new AV3 are quite an improvement. In a 1.5 liter (.053 cu. ft) vented enclosure tuned to 94Hz with a 4" long one inch diameter port, the F3 is around 90Hz. If the AV3 really extends up into the 20kHz range, that makes for an amazing little speaker. It's so enticing that I'm seriously thinking about doing a complete home theater set using them since I'm not yet knowledgeable enough to be working with crossovers.
    There are just a few questions I have:
    -Are the AV3s 4 or 8 ohm? The Adire Audio site states the Re as 3.4 ohms, but I'm not sure what exactly that means.
    -Being rated at only around 15W, can the AV3 be used with regular A/V receivers in the 60W-100W range? I know speaker damage is more likely to be caused by clipping than by too much power, but would such a large difference cause a problem?
    -As the sensitivity is somewhat low at 85dB, would it help to use two drivers? I don't quite yet understand the relationships between number of drivers, required power from the amp, and output levels.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]