What's new

Adire Audio Tempest Project (1 Viewer)

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Well this project is underway and about done w/ the MDF core. I plan to coat this with a nice wood veneer. I started a new thread because the old title no longer applies. Heres a link with pics.
http://thend.org/~dannydigital/tempesthowto.html I hope to have it in about 2-3 weeks.
What is the best way to go about cutting rectangular holes like the one i have here for the amp to mount in. I used a jigsaw and it doesnt look half as good as all the rest of my cuts that i did w/ a table saw. just wondering if there is a more professional way to do that.
I plan to make a little howto webpage documenting the process of building this sub when its all done. wish me luck

Julian Data

Second Unit
Dan,
Nice progress so far.. What did you use the jig saw for as I noticed you mentioned table saw when getting the pieces cut.
jd
------------------

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
thanks a lot. im trying hard to take my time and do things right. i used it to cut out the amp mounting hole. I wonder if theres a better way though because it doesnt look quite as nice as it could. not perfectly straight,etc. altho i guess it doesnt matter a whole lot because the amp will mount over it.

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Very nice work Dan. Thanks for sharing with us. What are your plans for a finish? Paint? Laminate? Veneer?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Very nice, Dan! I don't know anything better than a jigsaw and a drill for those enclosed square cutouts, but I'm not much of a woodworker. The edges are hidden, anyway.
What will you use to cut the driver and port holes?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sense you didn't have the top or bottom of the box on couldn't you clamp a straight gide onto the box that the jig saw or router could follow, allowing you to make a straight cut?
That should work fine for the vertical cuts, but I'm not sure how you could do it for the horizontal cuts, unless you make those cuts before you glue the box together.

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys. hrmmmm yeh good idea. I plan to cover it first in a 1/4" wood and then with 1/4" oak veneer. thatll create 1/2" V grooves along the corners and edges for me to lay some 90 degree corner molding (shoe molding maybe?? basically 1/4 of a whole dowel). Im goin go cut this 1/2" layer around the external dimensions of the amp, giving it a recessed look. Ill try one of the above methods for cutting this square because it will be seen and needs to be perfect. thanks for the advice

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Well the box is about done. Im just waiting on a few paychecks so i can buy the all important Tempest and amp. :)
Ive been playing with this LSPCAD for Adire Drivers and I have the Tempest Apps Vented Adire Alignment.box file. I just have a few questions.
Where it says Fill %, how do you guage the percent fill? The plans recommend 64oz..
Also where can i find the GD specs. i believe i read on here that these measure "tightness" and transient response which are fairly important to me.
And lastly, besides teh stuffing, should i line the inside of the box w/ anythign? Ive heard things from fiberglass insulation to dynomat.
Thanks for the help so far!
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
For LspCAD:
As for Fill:
Qa:
100% = no fill
30% = 25%
15% = 50%
7% = 100%
Ql:
Sonotube = 7
Box = 10
Those number were given to me by Dan.
As for 64oz that's 4lbs and since your box is 210L, it's about 50% fill.
I hope this helped. :)
------------------

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Ok ive made those adjustments. below is what i see for my SPLs.
AdireSPL.jpg

does this look correct?
Thanks
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You're tuning to 14.3 Hz?
The in-room plot looks like it's using the default room, did you input your room dimensions, and the position of the sub? It'll be more accurate that way.
Isn't this fun?!

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
well the plans say 15.4hz actually, but w/ all the other givens (port diam. length, etc) it turns out to be that. Hrm good point as well. I havent yet moved into my apartment so im not totally sure of the dimensions. ill look into it tho.
What about the box lining? do i need one? Im sorta looking for things to do to the box while i wait on more money. bein a broke college kid is no good
frown.gif

thanks
biggrin.gif

------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
The Fb changed because of the fill.
No need to line as you are going to use fill.
I blew a lot of money in college.. Like.. BEER! :)
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Dan,
Pay attention to the fill amount and look at the tune.
Also, to look at GD there's a window for it. Scale down by pressing Page UP vice versa to scale up.. Page Down.
If you want to get more in depth play with the Transient response window.
------------------

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
well i just refigured my budget for this fall semester plus summer classes and its not lookin so hot. Therefor i cant get the AVA250, just the speaker. My roommate somewhat fortunately has a 400w rackmount DJ amp we can use on it, but it has no cross over. Does anyone know if the subwoofer output on a reciever has a LP crossover? I have an Onkyo DS484. i suppose i can test this, but im just wondering.
thanks
------------------

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I'm not familiar with the Onkyo DS484 but if it is Dolby Digital 5.1 then it will have the .1 already crossed over for you and you will be set for movies. Music on the other hand will need a crossover.
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
ok i gotya. hrmm any ideas on where i can find the parts to build or find a premade xover cheap?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks