What's new

Adire Audio Center Channel (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know when they are going to have a DIY kit for a matching center channel. I plan on building the 281's and want to make sure that there will be a matching center channel for me to build later. Thanks.
B

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Dan is working on it at the moment. If you dont need it at this very moment then I would get started making the 281's and by the time you are finished the center should be very close to completion. Maybe Dan can give you a better idea on the time frame.
------------------
See my home theater at www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28585.html
Kyle Richardson

Rich L

Auditioning
I talked with Dan recently and he said all the components have been select and they should have the center in 6 weeks. I was thinking of using the AUDAX center as temporary fix, but I'll save that extra 180-240 bucks and wait the six weeks for the Adire center. BTW, it is dual 8's with a tweet and 4 incher. Tweet and mid vertical flanked by an 8 on either side. Sound cool. Supposedly they are working on a 3-way kit for the mains. I myself can not wait for that one.
Rich

That center channel sounds HUGE!! That's going to crush my TV!
wink.gif
What is one to do? Thanks for the info guys. I better get started on the 281s. :)
B

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Blake, here's what that Adire center channel speaker might look like:
This is my current DIY project:
130-4264.jpg

And this is how it might look like in a "typical" HT:
137-4276.jpg

I have a wire rack that is holding up a very heavy center channel speaker made of MDF, and 4 drivers, plus the crossover network. I estimate it's around 40 pounds. Those are 7" woofer on my center channel speaker, so it give you a good idea of the Adire CC form factor. The dimensions are 28"x10"x14.5" (WxHxD). I don't think it would have been a good idea to put this CC speaker right on top of my 46" RPTV, I envision the wood bulging and buckling under the weight in the long run.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I heard Dan say that they had started using a 6 1/2" modrange that was gonna go into the center channel?
------------------
Brett

Patrick:
That thing is huge. I don't know if I will be able to put that on top of my TV. I can't build a rack or anything over the TV so it pretty much has to sit on top. Its a 32" Sony, and I think that center channel is almost wider than my TV! If that is what the Adire center is going to look like, I may not be able to build those speakers like I want to. Are there any other smaller center channel options that I can use with the 281s, or is it best to get a matching center? Thanks for the info.
B

John Joosten

Auditioning
if the box is too wide just adjust the dimentions and make it deeper to compensate for amaller width then it should fit . you may have to put long support legs at the back but very easy to do
John

Doing that would only take a few inches off. Plus, my TV stand will only hold about 200 lbs on top. The TV is about 185 pounds. Adding 40 lbs would not be good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Blake, I have to admit, mine's on the extreme side when it comes to size, so perhaps the Adire version will be a smaller, more compact center channel speaker.
That's the fun about DIY speakers, you decide how big or small and consider the compromises with either design. Even so, for a good CC speakers, you'll have to find a way to mount it over or under your TV and have it aimed towards your seated sweet spot.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Blake, Patrick and Adire have the right driver alignment for a good center channel; tweeter over mid, flanked by two woofs. That's how mine is - I'll post photos soon. Yes, it's heavy, but worth it. Your center channel must be high performance - it handles most of your movie dialogue. If your TV/stand can't handle the weight, do something like Patrick's setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks