What's new

Adhesive, posters and 1/4" foam board? (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
I am thinking about purchasing sheets of 1/4" foam board to permanently mount my movie posters to. This would solve my problem of wrinkles showing up within my frames. Does anyone know what the best adhesive would be for this purpose?
I am not a collector of movie posters and I am not worried about a lot of long term degradation. I would like a smooth mount to the board without any bumps and of course no wrinkles.
Has anyone done this? I want to do it myself to save on expense so please do not suggest any services. Thanks!

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
You might try some of the art sprays for mounting your posters. I used to find it at Staples. It is tacky, so that you can lift the poster up again if you have a bubble while you are mounting the poster. Obviously, you don't want a spray GLUE because it may dry before you can lift a wrinkle away.

Good Luck!

Leon

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I had a local framing shop do the same thing to some of my posters years ago, and it was ok for a while, but in time the board started to curl/warp and it looked goofy hanging on the wall if it wasn't perfectly flat.

Hopefully you won't run into the same scenario.

Alfer

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
DarrinH:

I would suggest going to a framer and having them mount it for you. To avoid the problems noted above, make sure it is vaccuum mounted.

dave

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Are you going to frame them as well? If not i wold look for gator foam. it does not warp the way foam board does and it looks the same. i don't think you can get a 30x42 movie poster down by hand without wrinkles...go into a graphic print center and ask them for a price..we would charge around 25 bucks for something like a movie poster. You might be able to get it framed in a premade black metal frame for around $50.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
The missus, who as a museum professional deals with this sort of thing for a living, thinks that it can be done. If you are, in fact, really framing these, your main problem is probably that they are not tightly framed enough. She suggests adding more backing material or a mat to your framing. Though she personally abhors the idea, she acknowledges that if you really feel you must go with some sort of adhesive, a spray adhesive like that mentioned by Leon above would be best. Be careful about overspray, she warns, as some spray adhesives can begin to yellow in as little as five years. "It depends on how disposable he wants them to be," she says: you obviously don't want to do anything injurious to genuine collectibles. "If he's talking about reproductions, who cares?" she adds with a wink.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks