What's new

adhesive of choice for mdf (1 Viewer)

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
I know this may be a stupid question, but what do you guys use to bind the pieces of Mdf (or plywood or whatever)together for the box. I heard someone say they use liquid nails? I need some advice.

Thanks

A

Anthony_Gomez

Liquid nails stays semi-flexable. For MDF, I would use Gorilla Glue (my all time favorite), or yello carpenters glue.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Simple butt joints using particle board or MDF can be made very strong with just yellow wood glue. Butt joints, with plywood, on the other hand, are not very strong using wood glue, due to the nature of the laminated cross grain construction of the board. The polyurethane glues would be better for this. If you're using any kind of mechanical fasteners along with wood glue, you probably won't have any problems. Speaker enclosures (boxes) are inherently strong types of construction.

Pete

Cam S

Screenwriter
Would building a small sealed bookshelf box using just yellow wood glue and bo screw would be strong enough?? how about for a sub box???

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Yellow carpenter's glue is strong enough. Gorilla glue is a waste of money, IMHO if you have made good, straight, square saw cuts on your wood. If you have gaps though, gorilla -type glues are good because they expand quite a bit as they cure and fill those gaps.

I build small full-range and sub boxes using carpenter's glue and NO screws. Accurate saw cuts produce tight joints that need no other strength than the glue.

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, yellow carpenter's glue is all you need. Try bonding a test piece together and then breaking it apart. The material will break before the glue joint will. Anything more is a waste. I always use corner glue blocks. Much better than a simple butt joint. It gives much more surface area for the bond, and gives a preset distance for the bonded panel. I glue on all of my glue blocks on each panel before I begin box assembly. I just rip them out of the same sheet of MDF I'm using. There is almost always pieces left over after cutting the panels, and I just set my table saw for about 1 inch, and rip them all up for glue blocks and push sticks.

Greg P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys guys,

I have a couple of more questions (This project Im building is a sealed BP 1503, my first project)

1. Do i need to buy caulk or something to seal the seams in the inside of the cabinate?

2. What glue do I use to secure stuffing (ex. to the walls) or does it not matter?

Thanks!!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Butt joints, with plywood, on the other hand, are not very strong using wood glue, due to the nature of the laminated cross grain construction of the board. The polyurethane glues would be better for this.
This describes my situation, although I never considered this point. I find that Gorilla Glue is ideal for what I use (void-free ply), dampening both sides of the joint seems to open up the fibers and really allow the glue to "grab". I also like that the gap-filling qualities obviate the need for the sealant step. I've become accustomed to working with it, so that's not an issue, but it is very expensive, exorbitantly so in the smaller sizes.

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I build 5 to 7 subwoofer boxes a week, mostly out of particle board. (car audio installer) We use elmers wood glue and screws, then maxx 3500 clear chalking/silicone it is like latex piant no damaging fumes and it dries clear. Liquid Nails is a big no no as the fumes it emits are flamable which means explosive in a woofer box, should you get a spark. When I build a box for home or competition I seal all the edges, during construction, with a bead of wood glue and the silicone after I have pre drilled and counter sunk all the screw holes.;)

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what the gorilla glue is, but is it like the polyurethane caulk. That stuff is incredibly strong once it sets. When I replaced the windows in my house, we sealed around them against the brick with that caulk because there wasn't really any good way to find wood for the screws to bite. I'll guarantee that the whole exterior of the house will fall down before those come out.

I may use some of that when I build my new sub (starting in a couple weeks) to seal it if the joints aren't perfect. It'll take a little longer to cure though.

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread