What's new

adequate venting space (1 Viewer)

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
I note the following advice elswhere in this forum..

RACK LAYOUT

"Put the receiver on the LOWEST shelf in your rack. Make sure to leave 4-8 inches above for venting (read the manual for exact numbers)."

The TV entertainment center that I plan on using when Santa brings the new receiver will probably leave only about 2 inches. The receiver does have a fan but I wonder if i should be planning another location for the receiver?

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Does the audio rack have open sides?
If so, then 2" is more than enough clearance IMO.
I am about to do a thermo analysis on heat transfer between 2" space and 4+".

Any mechanical engineers here?
You guys do this all the time and it will take a ChemE like me a tad longer to figure this out.

My guess would be negligible if the sides are open.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Where is the fan? Out the back?

Most receievers rely on convection and have vent slots on the top & bottom to circulate air. This is why you need the space for venting. A built-in fan out the back does not rely on convection so a bit tighter space is possible.

Some people think that putting the receiver on the top shelf of an enclosed rack is better for cooling because there are no other devices above it, but this is like putting a blanket above a heat source - it traps the heat.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Think about drilling a few holes in the back near the top of the entertainment unit to let the hot air out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks