Adelphia hd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy vb, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

Anyone out there getting hd from Adelphia? I know that Comcast, Cox and Time Warner offer it through the Scientific Atlanta 3100hd or other devices in select markets. I am trying to find out if my lord and master cable behemoth is even offering a sniff of this stuff to clients in their larger markets. I have e-mailed Jabba the Hutt but have yet to get a response. I am sure I will get the blurb from their website saying they are in discussions with content providers blah, blah...

Here's hoping they are beta testing this somewhere.

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I too have Adelphia and I have not heard anything remotely sounding like HD. Nothing on their website or anything either. I bet if they're gonna do it, they'll just an arm and a leg for it, then it will suck like baseball on strike.
    I plan to just switch to Dish or DirectTV for HD. I'm only stuck on cable because of:
    1) sats don't carry local channels yet here
    2) no DSL available here but cable modem
    3) cheaper with the package of digital (yeah right)cable and all.

But I sure hope something HD comes along with Adelphia. But seeing they're having troubles internally....

3. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

I will pay and arm and a leg if they would just do it. I am fluffed because my region only gets over the air signals from nbc and pbs(that is how it has always been and will likely always be) and I cannot get satellite because of trees--I have now had three consults over the issue. Adelphia and I are long term partners in television. Their service levels are not all that bad for a cable company, but I cannot get any sense that they are even beta testing the service in some markets. Comcast is rolling out hd service in Northern Va soon adn TWC is doing it in other markets. I think Adelphia will lag behind on this.

Question for those gettind hd cable. Do you only get the hbo and showtime and hdnet offerings or can you get network offerings as well. Network offerings are the key, as the volume of programming seems to increase(albeit slowly) every year. I am curious what to expect in such a rollout.

4. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

Here's what you can get on sat that's HD:

Direct TV:
    HBO
    Showtime
    HD Net

Dish
    HBO
    Showtime
    Discovery
    CBS NY/LA if qualified

Clearly, a big problem is the lack of ABC and NBC on either sat.

For those of us with cable, the best hope is the FCC forcing jabba the hut to carry HD. In the spring, the FCC floated several proposals. One of these was to require cable companies with over 750Mhz bandwidth to carry programming of 5 broadcast channels that had 50% or more of prime time content in HD by Jan 2003.

I don't know what the current status is, but the FCC went on to adopt another of the proposals released at the same time, which was to require the built in tuners.

I think the FCC has gone about this in the wrong order, as it would be better to get the content out there and accessible first. I don't need to pay for a tuner that I'll never use when the cable company or sat provides a STB with HD outputs.

5. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

The people at my local office assure me that their system passes the HD signal through if its being broadcast. For cable channels this should be no problem, as they all come to a local satalite for distribution along the network, but the local channels are captured by an antenna and fed into the system locally, if they are broadcasting the signal will it be un-affected? We don't recieve HBO HD or Showtime HD on the "digital" cable, but did I recently see regular Showtime advertise at the Start of a movie ' HDTV - where available ' like they do the 5.1 advert., or was that wishful thinking? I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the money on a converter if I have to put up an antenna and only get four or five local channels. This guy said he has no idea if Adelphia is going to get boxes that will decode the signal....I wish they would [​IMG] BTW...Adelphias stock is at like 15 cents a share due to their recent troubles....can we all get together and buy a controling intrest as a group? Wouldn't that be the s%*&? A cable system owned by hometheaterheads?

6. Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes Agent

"The people at my local office assure me that their system passes the HD signal through if its being broadcast. "

I wouldn't trust anything a phone rep tells me. At my cable company, Cablevision, they are clueless and give any answer to get rid of you. One of their favorites is the "We carry whatevers being broadcast...."

As I understand it, all HD is carried as distinct and seperate channels. Perhaps those of you lucky enough to have HD on cable can verify that. In that case, the cable company should be able to give you a channel listing that shows the HD channels.

7. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

I'm only now starting to seriously consider HDTV, just having got my first 'ready' model. The inherant distrust of "the cable guy" is one of the reasons I havn't bought a STB already. Plus with over 50 commericial free movie channels, I'm at like 110$ a month for tv, that look just incredible on my 4-month old KP51HW40, right now I think I can wait. We underwent a complete system over-haul and up graded to fiber optic cable like 2 years ago, at which point I had my house entirely re-wired, so my signal is strong and clean. Plus the 700+ $'s really need to go towards an SVS Ultra system to replace this pitiful shoe-box that sits in the corner thinking its a sub.