What's new

additional amp question (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I have a yamaha a-1 that I plan to add a separate amp(s) for either the fonts or the fronts and center channel. Thinking Outlaw or Rotel.

Currently I have a Crown D-150a at my disposal that used to run a passive sub. I believe it is rated at 125 stereo @ 8ohms. I'm thinking I'll sell it to help pay for the other amps. In the meantime I've been wondering about using it to power the front effects from my A-1. The A-1 is rated at 135 to the fronts and I think 35 to the front effects. So it would be a great boost to the front effects. I have heard that the Crowns have a tendancy to sound a little grainy and are therefore suggested to subs only. Anybody have an opinion? Should I use it to power my mains and re-route the front effects to the Yamaha amps? use the crown on the fornt effects? or leave it out of the system entirely? BTW I'm using Polk RT55s as mains and RT15s as front effects.

Thanks!

Brad

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Brad,

I would stick to a cleaner amp than that crown. I have an Extra Samson 700 Watt 2 channel amp, and tried it once. It was a sub amp originally. It sounded like shit IMHO. Switched it right back to the Parasounds.....

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
This is a fairly old amp (15...20 years?) but you can give crown a call and i'm sure they'd have general info. RMS power though is around 80/channel with THD around 0.05%...if it's in decent condition, that suggests it'd be fairly clean. Give it a shot for your effects.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
My advice is to go ahead and hook it up, the worst that most likely will happen is that it'll waste some of your time disconnecting it if the sound is not up to your standard.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,

As Robert noted, it can't hurt to give it a try, but in reality there is absolutely no reason the front effects speakers would require that much power, unless you are using extremely inefficient speakers.

The front effects channels utilize very narrow bandwidth. Turn off all the other speakers and you’ll see that the front effects channels are mainly generating frequencies between the lower midrange and lower treble. In addition they typically operate at reduced volume levels compared to the mains, center and rears. In other words, that 35 watts will go a long way with reasonably efficient speakers.

I have the A1’s predecessor, the A-3090, with 25 watts to the front channels, set up in a open-styled living area totaling more than 6000 cubic ft. I’ve never observed the front effects to be underpowered, and we crank it up around here.

If you’re really worried about it, you could always route the front effects into the main L/R amps, as you mentioned. Not that any of it would ever get used, but this would more than quadruple power to the effects.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne!

Maybe I won't bother. It is one of those " It can't just sit there not being used" thing.:D

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks