What's new

Adding wifi router to existing wired home network (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, so I just purchased a Wifi router online (D-Link 802.11b , dunno model off by heart) hoping to add wireless to my network for me and my dad's laptops.

I have an existing router im using now whcih is a basic wired router.

Im wondering how I could set the WiFi router to interaface with the existing router and act as an access point? I imagine iw ould have to daisy chain the Wifi router with the existing wired router.

So hardware wise, would it be like this?
DSL Modem -> (WAN IN) Wired Router (LAN OUT) -> (WAN IN) Wireless Router

and (just in general, as i do not have the router yet) how would i go about setting the router up software-wise so i can turn off any firewall/port blocking etc functions and make it act like an access point? Would it be possible for the computers running through the wireless router to be on the same LAN as the ones on the Wired Route

Thanks in advance

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, so I just purchased a Wifi router online (D-Link 802.11b , dunno model off by heart) hoping to add wireless to my network for me and my dad's laptops.

I have an existing router im using now whcih is a basic wired router.

Im wondering how I could set the WiFi router to interaface with the existing router and act as an access point? I imagine iw ould have to daisy chain the Wifi router with the existing wired router.

So hardware wise, would it be like this?
DSL Modem -> (WAN IN) Wired Router (LAN OUT) -> (WAN IN) Wireless Router

and (just in general, as i do not have the router yet) how would i go about setting the router up software-wise so i can turn off any firewall/port blocking etc functions and make it act like an access point? Would it be possible for the computers running through the wireless router to be on the same LAN as the ones on the Wired Route

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks