Adding wall sconce's in our theater, what is a good height?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by todbnla, Jan 18, 2006.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Once again I find my self configuring a new theater and this go around we plan to add some wall sconces since we went with can lights on our last theater. In speaking to our electrician, we agreed on a height to install but now that rough in is almost done, I see they were moved down almost 8 inches lower than the agreed height and I am now concerned that they may be too low? I am a lil over 6 ft and the rough in box location is at my eye level. Is this too low?

Just wondering how high others have their wall scounces mounted?

PLMK-Thanks!

2. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

I would say any height that doesn't allow you to actually see the bulb would be fine, of course that can also depend on the type of sconces you are using. I would say around the 6.5-7 foot mark would be good (I could still see the bulbs but not everyone is that tall). I would also say that it depends on the height of the room.

How tall are your ceilings?

3. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Std 8 ft ceilings....

4. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

Then I would say around 6-6.5 feet. You don't want to get too close to the ceiling. I know that I remember barely seeing into other peoples sconce lighting when I've seen in it in homes that I've been to. I'm 6'8" so that would make it somewhere in the 6-6.5 foot range.

I would definately check out some of the theaters in the gallery to get an idea for what you like best. I know there are several that have sconces that you could use for comparison.

5. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Todd,

This was my situation:
    Sconces on the walls with riser height changes. Depending on which level you stood on, the sconce height changed. I went with enclosed bulb sconces to eliminate seeing the bulb at different heights.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...g2_itemId=1125

I didn't have a good pix of the sconces lined-up.

David

6. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I thought the traditional way to locate sconce-height was to make them just out of reach so you need to use a ladder to reach them! [​IMG]

Leo

7. arisyap

arisyap Auditioning

Hey Todd,

I think, as long as the top of the sconce is above eye level and the interior bulb is not visible, then it's just fine.

I've read somewhere that a usual wall sconce should be a minimum of six feet from the floor. Therefore, the wall box should be six feet less the distance from the top of the sconce to the center of the wall box.