What's new

Adding USB Ports (1 Viewer)

Shawn

Auditioning
I have a home built PC that I put together this spring and have no problems with it except for the fact that I only have two USB ports. I know it's standard but it would be nice if they could put four or six built in. Anyway, I'd like to add a couple more but would like some advice on the best way to go about it.

I have a PCI to USB slot card that I've never used. I bought it for an old PC and never used it. Tried it in this one and can't seem to get it going either. My motherboard is an Abit VH-6 II and has pin connectors for two more USB ports. I picked up a connector with two wires that fed into two USB ports to be put on the back in a free card slot. But again I couldn't get it to work. If I plugged my USB webcam into the built in port it works fine, if I move it to the others it doesn't work

I've noticed some USB external ports come with a power adapter and some don't. Also some are high speed and low speed USB and there are other differences as well. I am currently using my two ports for my printer and webcam. I plan on adding a scanner, a game controller or two and maybe a cradle for a PDA and a digital cam card reader. Anyway, I'm hoping someone can understand my post and offer some guidance. Thanks.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

An easy solution may be to simply pick up a USB hub from Future Shop or wherever. You just plug it into one of the built-in USB ports, and it gives you 4-8 more ports instantly.You can even daisy-chain them, that is, plug a hub into a hub.

Maybe this will help, I know these are easy to use and fairly inexpensive.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks