What's new

Adding Third Sattelite For Dish6000 (1 Viewer)

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have Dish500 and am waiting on my 6000 receiver to arrive. I already have the Dual LNB from Dish500 and the old dish installed next to it. Is tuning in the third sattelite for HD a pretty simple operation? Did most of you have this done by an installer or did you do it yourself. I've always honed the sattelites in myself but not sure how difficult this is for the HD feed. Are the instruction that come with Dish6000 adequate to handle this install myself?
Jerry
------------------

Curt Jett

Agent
I think you will need a SW-21 switch for that install also.
Are you going to be using only one recevier? If you have installed the dishes in the past this should not be a problem either. Go here and enter your zip code for the proper aiming. http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html select Echostar III for the HD bird.
------------------

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Curt,
Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a shot myself. Yes I will be using a second receiver. I'm going to move the 4000 receiver I have now to the bedroom. I went to the Dish website and downloaded a diagram on how to hook up the second receiver. Anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks
Jerry
------------------

Curt Jett

Agent
The SW-21 will let you hook up two receivers. That is the same setup that I am using. Here is a link to the diagram that I used to wire them. It is probably the same one you have, but just in case... http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...ioninstall.pdf
It shows two SW21s but the wires coming from the dish 500 is one of them. Hope it all works ok. You are going to love HD!! Do you also have the locals OTA in your area? And did you get the 8VSB module with the 6000?
------------------

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Curt,
That is the same diagram I downloaded from Dish, thanks. I can't wait to sit down the first evening after the install and really watch an entire program in HD! I don't have the option for local OTA in my area. I live in the western mountain of Colorado about 4 hours away from any major city. The closest is Denver and that is a little over 4 hours. I get my locals through Dish. I did not get the 8VSB module, I'm not sure what that is?? The last piece to my upgrade of equipment is speakers and I'm still undecided on those. I'm going to LA next weekend so I hope to finalize my decision at that time.
------------------

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
the 8VSB module is a plug in for the 6000 that does the OTA decoding. you will not need it until you have OTA available.

kevin oswald

Agent
If you have Twin LNB on your Dish 500 dish you can get buy with just buying the SW21 to get all 3 sattelites. If you are like most people you probably have dual lnb's. And already have a SW21 connecting the two lnb's together for your existing receiver. To get all 3 satelites you will have to get a SW64 switch, and then can just toss the existing SW21. It depends where you live how easy it is to get the 3rd sattelite. I live in california and was a real paint.. I had to point the dish at 18degrees elevation.. so almost straight..

Wayne Clark

Agent
Kevin, the exsisting HD sat is at 63.5 right? I thought I heard awhile ago that dish was going to either put up a new sat or move one over to 160 or so? This was going to be a duplicate of whats on the 63.5 bird. I take it that this has not be done yet? WC

kevin oswald

Agent
There is a 4th satellite.. I forget the exact location off-hand.. that would be easier to get in the west coast. But it is only carrying the foreign feeds not the HD channels at the moment. The 3rd sattelite you need is at 61.5
..Kevin

kevin oswald

Agent
If you decide to do it yourself, I would suggest buying a a satelite finder.. you can find them for around $20.. then get 2- 9 volt batteries.. and hook the positive to the center of a piece of coax.. and negative to the outside.. then you don't even need the receiver hooked up to find the satellite.. And they come in handy for the long run, if you ever need to fine tune your other dish.

Wayne Clark

Agent
Ok, my mistake. I thought the west coast one was going to duplicate what on 61.5 so that the west coast states including Alaska and Hawaii would be able to get easy HD.

kevin oswald

Agent
There seems to be no definate answer on that yet from dishnetwork last I heard.. I wish they would.. the strongest signal I can get from 61.5 is around 92.. So the few times a year I get bad rain.. I experience rain fade.. Hopefully they will move the HD feeds in the future.. but there is no plan for this at the moment last I heard.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The "west coast" satellite is at 148. It carries HBO HD, Showtime HD and HD PPV. They have left off the HD demo channel.

kevin oswald

Agent
I must aplogize, I was wrong about 148.. it does carry the HDTV signals now. I guess it went up in april. I have not been following it as closely since I got all setup before that. Looks like they have the showtime, HB and PPV on that sattelite duplicated now. Now everyone should be able to get it.
..Kevin

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Kevin, I'll check into the satellite finder. I'm not sure what you mean by hooking up the two batteries but I'm sure once I get one I'll understand. I'm off to LA today and had a bit of a surprise yesterday... my Pioneer 510 showed up. I can't believe it's here and now I'm going out of town. Still waiting on the Dish6000, hopefully it will be here when I return. Thanks everyone for the info!
Jerry:
laugh.gif

------------------

kevin oswald

Agent
Basicaly how you normaly use a sattelite finder.. you hook it up inline with your LNB. And it gets the voltage.. aroudn 15 volts from the receiver. The batteries will let you supply power to the sat finder without worrying about having the receiver turned on and so on. Like when I first aligned my dishes, I hooked up one wire to the receiver.. and used a second patch cable to hook up my sattelite finder to the 2nd output on the lnb...
..KEvin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks