What's new

Adding SSD Boot drive to new computer (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the tip regarding the BIOS update, Howie! I'll check that out once I get everything installed with the new Kingston SSD. It's good to know they're extremely reliable, as well!

Yeah, thankfully Windows 10 isn't a hog regarding RAM. The 6 GB that our Acer Laptops came with have been pretty sufficient since upgrading from Windows 8/8.1. I experienced a lot of freeze ups with that bloated OS, among other issues.

CHEERS! :)
I'm currently in the process of installing Windows 10 on my new Kingston 240 GB SSD. Man, it's so fast! :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I put a Crucial in my Acer laptop. Mainly because I've had good luck with them in my desktops, they seem reliable. My Acer laptop has far outlived its expected lifetime (by me), what a bargain that thing was (I got it when "nobody" was buying laptops for a while), so SSD reliability wasn't key, but some faster boot speed was sorely needed, it was soooo slow to boot under Win7 (several minutes!, the same model SSD takes 15s to cold boot and be at the Win10 home screen in a desktop).

Edit: actually, I may be talking the same model Crucial as you, they are 240GB. The Acer had a 500GB HDD originally, but I don't store much on it, I mostly use it for instrumentation purposes and with drones. The particular desktop I'm using right now (my "gaming PC") has a 500GB Crucial in it, it is slightly over 2 years old and gets daily use.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Congratulations on your new SSD, Tony! It’s a game changer.

A couple of things to keep in mind with solid state drives:

1. Disable windows disk defragmenter if it is not already turned off. SSDs do not suffer from the read issues of mechanical HDDs and as such, there is no need to defrag them.
2. Whatever you do, never, ever run chkdsk. Ever. All it does is destroy your SSD.
3. Check to see if TRIM can be and is enabled. It helps to increase the performance and lifespan of your shiny new SSD.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Congratulations on your new SSD, Tony! It’s a game changer.

A couple of things to keep in mind with solid state drives:

1. Disable windows disk defragmenter if it is not already turned off. SSDs do not suffer from the read issues of mechanical HDDs and as such, there is no need to defrag them.
2. Whatever you do, never, ever run chkdsk. Ever. All it does is destroy your SSD.
3. Check to see if TRIM can be and is enabled. It helps to increase the performance and lifespan of your shiny new SSD.
I've installed Auslogics Disk Defragmenter, but only for use with external hard drives, just in case the need ever arises. It's been a good decade since I've used the near useless Windows Disk Defragmenter utility on any kind of regular basis. The turning point for me was when it kept getting caught in a never ending loop on the Mrs first Acer Laptop, back around 2008. Once I was tipped off about Auslogics, I installed that program on both of our systems, and never looked back.

Regarding chkdsk, I only ever used that utility if absolutely necessary. Most of the time, it was involuntary, if you get my meaning.

So far, I've been really impressed with the overall much faster performance, although for some reason, VLC Player freezes up on me when I try to change the Onscreen video setting. Strange.

On the other hand, since installing the Kingston SSD, I can now plug one of my external drives into my docking station, and Windows will read it, which I could never do when the previous Hard Drive was installed.

P.S. TRIM is enabled, Clint. Thanks for that tip! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks