Adding sony sa-wm 40 subs to system with two SVS subs , crazy ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Mar 11, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I have two SVS subs for the lfe channel right now.I have a 7.1 setup with nht 2.9 towers in front and vs2.4 bookshelves for the sides. Money is a consideration for my scenerio below.

I just purchased a lex mc-1 and would love to try the bass enhance feature {basically stereo subs} for the side speakers which only go to 80 hz or so.

I was thinking of adding two sony sawm 40 subs hooked up with my side speakers and cross over the vs2.4 at 80 hz or so. I would have the sides set on the processor to large as to get the bass enhance feature to work.

Would this just screw up my bass I have now ? or give me the benifits of bass enhance because the side subs dont have to be all that great since most side info is probably 35hz and up.

The other scenerio is to get the ICBM and use it to crossover my svs subs to my nht 2.9 towers up front. I could psotion one svs behind each 2.9 and set the front to large with the ICBM crssing over the 2.9 at 60 hz ?? Then I would set the sub to no in the processor. It seems like this would give me stereo subs which are required for Bass enhance on the lex. In this config the sides would still be set to small...what do you'll think, any lex owners out there ? Tom V. can you help ?

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The Sony's are good HT subs that would be perfectly suitable in a side surround capacity. If you get them, stuff each with about 20 oz. of polyester fiberfill. It improves performance notably.

I can't help you with that other scenario, as I am unfamiliar with your electronics and the SVS subs.

3. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

John...
    My only worry would be the Sony subs up against the SVS subs. My buddy has two HGS-18's in the front, and had to upgrade to the HGS-12's from a smaller sub for his system to balance out. Balance is what it's all about in HT.

4. John Tompkins

Will,

I was thinking that the balance between the sony and svs's wouldnt be that critical as the svs's would be handling the heavy lfe stuff and the sonys would only be handling bass enhance stuff ?

5. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

When you say "lfe stuff" I assume you mean you have your mains set to large?

Anyway, I do not think it will be critical to match subs if you are just using the Sony's to fill out the base for the surrounds. Man that is fanatical though, 4 subs.

6. Will Gatlin Jr

John...
    I understand!! Hurry up and try it out and let us know. Good luck!!

7. John Tompkins

Eric, It might be plain crazy[​IMG]
    Still want to gather more opinions on this, anybody else ??

8. John Tompkins

HELP, anybody ...

The sony subs would be the same price as the icbm, would the sonys screw me up more then help ? for stereo bass enhance for sides

9. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I would strongly suggest NOT getting the Sony subs. They are good for the $$$, but are boomy & distorted (even after stuffing w. fiberfill) when compared to higher end offerings. Also, I don't feel that putting subwoofers around your room is the best thing to do acoustically. You're going to get all sorts of bass peaks (to the point where EQing the peaks may be impossible). I'd suggest putting all your subwoofers in the same corner. This will couple them (greater perceived output) and only result in 3 room modes (which can easily be EQ'd away). A Parametric EQ like the Behringer Feedback Destroyer pro runs ~$130 and will be a better option vs. buying a cheap sub. Use the crossover in the MC-1 and let the SVSs handle the bass from all the channels...

10. Will Gatlin Jr

Greg...
    This appl` is for side spks in Lexicon's Logic 7 set-up where the side channels preform much better with Large spks or sub/sat set-up when Bass Enhance is engaged. Hope this helps.