Adding second Subwoofer..

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeGee, Sep 27, 2006.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Hey guys

I have a custom 15" Quatro with a PE240 amp, in a pretty big enclosure. Anyways.. the sound on it to me seems.. well for its size (5.5cu ft) It seems VERY under powered in my room about 12-15. I've tried experimenting with my receiver, with the plate amps gain/freq levels, and the wire connecting the sub all with very minimal success.
    My sub only seems to be anywhere near decent at picking up low freq bass. Music, basic explosions, gun fire doesnt even seem to register through the sub. Its like its inexistant. I'm chalking it up to possibly the PE240 a crap amp or mine is blown.
    After just watching a movie in my computer room on my Logitech Z560 speakers i am much more impressed with how the bass response was on my little 8" woofer.

My question.. is there anyway i can one one subwoofer which could run by picking up the freqencies i'm basically lacking 30-60hz and have my big 15" Quatro for picking up the 20-25hz range? Also if there is a specific type of configuration this is called... and how it would possibly be wired...
    Thanks for any insight.

~mike

2. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Check your Private Message inbox.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You can split your sub duties between two subs but that will require some expensive crossovers and a lot of trial and error. Have you calibrated your system with an SPL meter or the auto calibration of your receiver (if it has it)? Have you plotted the frequency response of your sub? Have you tried different locations to see if your viewing location is in a null? Are you expecting boomy, car audio bass?

I'm asking all of this because the Quatro/PE 240 is a tried and true combination.

-Robert

4. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I have calibrated it with my receivers built in calibration (MCACC) which i heard was amazing and i find the audio sound is completly way off whenever it does its own calibration. The surround doesn't even seem to work when it calibrates it. As for plotting the freq response .. no i haven't i am unsure how to do that...
    my sub cannot really be placed anywhere else in the room, i've tried putting it on either side of the tv or, up to 6 feet all around. Does absolutly nothing.
    I am not getting boomy bass at all. In fact its not that i prefer it but from listening to music in my car (12" Cerwin Vega) i absolutly hate music on my HT setup.
    Could you gimme an idea with what the freq response plotting is all about?
    Thanks

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I am currently using 2 different subs through a BFD equalizer. One is plugged through the right channel and the other through the left. I have them equalized the same and it helped out the bass greatly. As mentioned calibrating can make a big difference. The BFD also allows for different equalization for each channel, but I don't know how that would work out. You might turn one off and program the other. Then repeat for the second sub. Before you try all that, check these out:
    http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I use the MCACC on my Pioneer receiver as well. I put the mic on a tripod where my head will be and I start the process. After I'm finished, I boost the sub up 3db because that's what I like. As for the surrounds, you would be surprised how little information there is except for action scenes. They are there for enhancement of the sound.

A great example is Motley Crue's "Carnival of Sins" DVD. The DTS soundtrack has the crowd in the surrounds and the band up front. This will really work your surrounds! With my MCACC calibration and bumping the sub up 3db, it sounds as close to the real thing as I have ever heard. And I know because I saw them three times on that tour (5th, 4th and 3rd rows).

-Robert

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,
    Sounds like your sub isn’t getting a signal. Make sure you have the sub enabled in your receiver’s menu. It should be set to “yes” or something like that. If that’s not the problem then the sub’s amp may be bad.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt