Adding S-video to older RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryJ, Mar 15, 2001.

1. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

I have an about 8 year old Pioneer 55" RPTV. I have had the set ISF'd, lined the inside, made mattes, and built a hood. I am happy with the picture but think with DVD the picture would benefit greatly from not using the TV's filter. Can you add S-video to an older composite in set?

2. GaryM

GaryM Agent

This is completely possible but not financially practical. The actual task would be to bypass the set's comb filter and install seperate inputs for chrominance and luminance. This would require complete documentation of the circuits (both the schematics and physical layout) and the redesign/relayout of these portions of the circuitry. (The layout is critical to maintain proper input impedances.)
    If you were an EE I suspect you would not ask such a question. Certainly it would not be economical to hire such expertise for one set. I am an EE and I would not even attempt this for my own use - instead I would sell the TV and buy one with the features I desired, and figure I was better off having done so.
    Gary

3. GaryJ

GaryJ Stunt Coordinator

Gary M:
    Thanks for your response. I was afraid this was the case. I have and FPTV with all the features and it is where I put the bulk of my HT budget. I do like using the RPTV for casual viewing and am not ready to go to the expense of HDTV just yet. Thank you again for your response and I shall just be happy with what I have until I am willing to spend the money.
    GJ